Thursday, July 10, 2008

Grandma

My grandma, Marion Sterner, was born February 19, 1913. She passed away this afternoon at the age of 95. She outlived my grandpa by almost 23 years. He passed away October 6, 1985. Now they can finally be together again. I was able to see her on Monday after work for my last time. While I have to keep reminding myself that she was 95 and lived a long, good life, I find myself having a hard time doing that. I think about how kind she was. She was always very loving and was as generous as she was able. The earliest memories of my grandma come from when I was about 4 years old. I remember being at their house on Bradley Street and her wanting me to try liver and onions. I didn't like it. :) My sister and I would sleep over at grandma's apartment in St. Paul and she would make us really good popcorn and we'd stay up and play games. Then in the morning, she would make us pancakes from scratch. It seemed like they took forever to make but they were worth it. They were the best pancakes. I believe she also took my sister and I to the movie theatre for the first time. We saw The Karate Kid. I have very fond memories of my grandma and miss her dearly already. Rest in peace, Grandma. I love you.

5 comments:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

It sounds as though she lived a long and fulfilling life :)
Sorry for your loss, but happy she has joined your grandpa

Michael said...

Rest in Peace grandma.

95 years is such a great, long life.
So many great and wonderful things happen in a life that long.

I could only hope and pray to make it to 95 years old.

She had the chance to learn and grow while she was young, meet her first true love and have 2 wonderful boys(OK, one was good and the other one I am still pondering*).
She had some beautiful grand children, and had the chance to be with them for many good years.
I personally have been "grandma and grandpa-less" since I was very young, so I consider you very lucky.

You are so fortunate to have had such a beautiful person in your life Dana, she was an awesome, kind, funny and loving person.
A person that I considered my own grandma since mine have long passed away.

She will be missed.



*OK, I have decided...Keith is pretty wonderful as well. ;)

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your Grandma, Dana. I'm sure she's happy and smiling with your Grandpa now.

Tanya Zenner said...

Dana I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is so difficult to lose a grandparent. They hold a special spot in our hearts and they are dearly missed when they leave us. Chris and I are here for you if you need anything.

On a side note regarding her age. My grandpa always says "how come when a young person passes away people aways say 'oh that is so sad they were so young' but when a older person passes away people say 'well they lived a good long life'"
This always makes me laugh because it is so true.

I know your Grandma will be missed and I am sorry for you and your families loss.

Anonymous said...

Dana

Me and Cherrie were very sad to hear of your loss. Please know that she is resting in peace and with your grandfather now. May God ease your loss in the days and months to come.

Greg Jones