Sunday, May 10, 2009

Race for the Cure/Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all you mommies out there.  M and I started our day at the Mall of America on this chilly Sunday morning to participate in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. It was a 5K (3.1 miles) run/walk.  This year I walked in celebration of a coworker who had breast cancer.  She was diagnosed last fall and as of very recent, she no longer has any cancer in her body.  I had a placard on my back stating I was walking in celebration of her so it was very nice when I ended up seeing her at the walk, which in itself is amazing since there was expected to be 50,000 people there.  I showed her my sign for her and she seemed to be touched by that. 

We started about two minutes before everyone at the starting line and kept our lead of the pack for the majority of the time.  We must have walked at a decent pace because by the time we started (9 am) and did the walk, walked back many blocks to our car, watched 3 planes come in over us (about 10 minutes) and get in the car, it was 10:15 am.  After the walk, we went to the Downtowner Woodfire Grill for breakfast.  We got home and I crashed.  I was so tired and could have slept many more hours but instead I had to get ready to go to my parents house at 4 pm for our Mother's Day celebration.  My grandpa and gramma were also there and we had tacos to eat and I made a lemon cornmeal cake for my mom from scratch.  Happy Mother's Day, Mumsy.  Enjoy your mom's while they are around.  I know 2 sets of boys this year that for the first year can no longer celebrate Mother's Day with their moms ......my Dad and uncle and Chad and Bryan. (Michael's nephews)  I thought about all you boys today.   

I forgot to take any pictures while I was at my parent's house but here are some from the rest of the day. 




The clouds were so amazing
Me approaching the finish line


2 comments:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

That's awesome Dana!!!!

Jamie said...

No trampoline shots?