Thursday, January 28, 2010

Can I talk about IT yet?

Has enough time passed to talk about what happened on Sunday? If you're not from Minnesota, a lot of us from here have been down and depressed about what happened to The Minnesota Vikings last Sunday. The Vikings lost in heart breaking fashion, 31-28 in overtime against the New Orleans Saints. The Vikings beat themselves with five fumbles and 2 interceptions. Every time a Vikings player carried the ball, I was just praying that they wouldn't fumble, especially Adrian Peterson as he fumbled three times throughout the game. Besides the fumbles, we had the lead the majority of the game and was obviously still tied at 28 going into overtime. First, I've never liked the Saints. I don't have valid reasons really but I just don't like them and I don't like Sean Payton, their coach. I thought the Saints played dirty and did multiple things throughout the game that weren't necessary, such as beating up on Favre as much as they did. I avoided all media regarding the game for the first two days but as more and more reports come out during the week, it was the Saints intention all along to basically hurt Favre. It's out, they've admitted it and they have the same intention to do it to Manning in the Super Bowl. Darren Sharper, safety for the Saints (former Vikings and Packers player as well as friend of Brett Favre) had this to say about their mission against Favre: "Cut off his head and his body will die"
I HATE that they are playing with this mentality. Maybe it's the girl in me that makes me think like this but I think it's completely wrong to go about trying to win a game like that. That's playing dirty. It doesn't matter anymore though. The Vikings have lost 4 Super Bowls, all in the 1970's. The Vikings have not been in the Super Bowl since before I was born. The last Super Bowl they were in I was still cooking in my mom's oven and would be born 11 days later. (Remember, I just turned 33 last week) We've been to the Championship game (like Sunday's) 5 times that we've lost....1978, 1988, 1998, 2000 and 2009 football seasons. So we've been to 9 championship games and made it to the Super Bowl 4 times with no rings. That's the history of the Vikings for you in a nutshell.

I'm not bitter....anymore. I'm not sad....anymore, but I think it is foolish when people say, Oh well, better luck next year. There will be no next year like this year. This was it. The dynamic and chemistry of this football team will be no longer. This was our chance and we blew it.

As for the Super Bowl, I am a complete Indianapolis Colts fan and I hope that Peyton Manning gets another ring.

In the meantime, we've got the Pro Bowl coming up on Sunday. Who cares you say? Yeah, most people don't care about it but it will be fun to watch a game after what's happened knowing that it means nothing and it's just for fun. Oh yeah, it might a little more fun watching it IN PERSON. Yep, M and I are going to the Pro Bowl in Miami. We leave tomorrow so I'll be gone for quite some time from blogging. See you in a couple weeks!

Still a Vikings fan and proud of MY team,

Dana Leigh

1 comment:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I'm over it (but still a little ticked)