I think we've all experienced loss in our lives at some point or another. Last Saturday night, I had just gotten back from a late trip to the store when I went into the kitchen and discovered something terrible. On the counter, just lying there, I saw this:
RIP Wine Opener 2006-2010
My wine opener was broken and had died. No time is a good time for something like this to happen but fortunately, the bottle of wine that I was about to crack open had a twist-off cap. Yes, I know what you're thinking and the answer is yes, it was a very expensive bottle of wine. I spoke to M to find out if he had caused this pain and with much sorrow, he looked at me and said that he broke the wine opener. I wasn't mad at M in the least bit. I knew in my heart that the wine opener had a good long life with us. He had made us happy many times over and I still have all of the corks to prove it. The pain was also lessened slightly knowing that I didn't even have to pay for him. He was a Christmas gift from a former employer. Thank you, former employer. And thank you, wine opener. When a dog or a cat passes away, many times the owner goes out shortly after and purchases a new puppy or kitten. Don't think I won't be any different. I have decided to take my time with my purchase and when I'm at the store and see that perfect (or on sale) wine opener, I'll know and then, only then, will I purchase it and take it home to slowly make it a part of my life again.
There really isn't a good way to end a topic like this so I'll leave you with this....In the words of Alfred Lord Tennyson, " 'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all."
2 comments:
saddest day ever!
I have this and love it: http: Wine Opener
A co-worker has this and loves it (I've seen it in action and I'm a bit jealous): Wine Opener
I went bowling on my birthday for the first time in ten years and I SUCK!!! My final score was 72 (with two strikes!!). Ouch. I better practice
Post a Comment