Saturday, April 2, 2011

Boys HS Basketball- Zach Lofton

I love football.  I like baseball.  I do not care for hockey.  I think basketball is fun to watch every once in a while.  What I didn't know is how exciting it would be to watch boys high school basketball.

Last Saturday M and I went to the Target Center for the high school boys basketball tournament.  It was the finals and it was Columbia Heights against Orono.  I probably wouldn't have cared much for either of the teams, however M's cousin (3rd), Zach Lofton is the star player for Columbia Heights and it was the first time that Columbia Heights had been represented in the finals since 1930!

For the weeks leading up to the final game, Zach seemed to be in the newspaper or on the news daily.  He was the top scorer in the metro (and all of MN up until about two weeks before the season ended) averaging 30.4 points per game.  Of the top 500 high scorers in the United States, Zach is currently ranked 24, however before an injury that left him out for a handful of games, he was ranked 11.

The game started out with Orono ahead and they would be for most of the game, however "Heights" would come back and take the lead a few times.  It was back and forth, back and forth until about the last 5 minutes of the game when it started to look not so good for Heights and finally Orono took home the championship, winning 85-76.  Now hopefully Zach will get a good basketball scholarship to a big school and then we can still see him on TV every once in a while.  He's been approached by many colleges, varying in size and I think he's bound to succeed anywhere.

Zach's # is 23.







Can you see where the ball is?



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to watch Zach play basketball. He went to national's for AAU basketball the first time in 2002 in FL. He played Disney's Sport Center. I hope he goes to school some where I will still be able to see him play.

Kristi said...

Those glasses look super cute on you!