Sunday, June 16, 2013

Sad Day

Today is Father's Day.  It's a sad day for me.

My dad loved Father's Day.  He enjoyed getting together with all of us, sitting on the deck and having a BBQ.  We did that for so many years and I wish he was here so we could do it again.

Last year's Father's Day was the last one I went to and I barely even made it there.  The date was Sunday, June 17th and I had just gotten back from a long motorcycle trip weekend.  While getting stuck in the rain in Red Wing, my dad left a message for me on my cell phone. For some reason, I never erased that message and realized it after he passed away so I converted it to mp3 and now I have it forever.  The message was telling me that they threw together a quick dinner and wanted to know if I could come over if I felt like it and if I was back in time as well as how much he would like to see me. When I got home, I took a shower and ventured right back out to see my dad.

My dad hadn't been diagnosed yet (that would be another 11 days away) but he was in a lot of pain so it wasn't the happiest of Father's Days for him.  I KNOW he appreciated seeing me though as he loved being my dad.

So today, I listened to that voice mail and I wish I could go over to their house for a BBQ today but instead,  I went to the cemetery.  I left the cemetery about noon and throughout the day, I saw a couple of signs that made me feel that my dad was around.  I ran an errand after I came out of the store, there was a butterfly on my car.  It made me smile.  The other was a cardinal in the tree right outside our living room window.  He was singing and chirping so loudly that I thought it was the TV.  I went to the window and he was sitting right there.  Believe what you want to believe, but the butterfly and bird made me feel better.


My penny is still there
The cardinal in the tree


I miss you, Dad.



1 comment:

John said...

We were thinking about you guys yesterday and hope you made the best of the day!