I woke up on Friday, July 30th, got ready, brought my car in to get the oil changed and went out to breakfast with my sister and nephew. The day started off great and it would only get better for I'd be leaving to go to Mankato to watch the Vikings take their first practice of training camp.
We got on the road about noon and headed down to Mankato which is around 75 miles from our house but for some reason seems longer since it takes so long with traffic to cut across the Twin Cities from northeast to southwest. We made our first stop at The Yellow Barn. We went there last year and for the life of me could not find the name of the place on the building so I had no idea what it was called. I was able to figure it out this year as there was a sign at the register that said to make checks payable to The Yellow Barn. I don't know what's more amazing...finally figuring out the name of this place or the fact that they still accept checks. M stocked up a bunch of goodies and I got a couple of things. I want to take my nephew to this place someday and let him pick out a bunch of candy but maybe that's not the best auntie idea. Maybe if he just brushes his teeth after every treat it will be ok, right?




We arrived in Mankato sometime in the 2 o'clock hour and checked into our hotel early. We bummed around a little before walking across the street to the Minnesota State University football fields where we'd get our first glimpse of the purple for the year.
The first person we see while walking through the entrance of the Vikings Village is Chuck Foreman. He is riding a 10-speed bike around the parking lot.
The second person we see is Zygi Wilf, the principal owner of the Vikings. He was just bumming around the Vikings store purchasing items for his daughter and her friend. Hey Zygi, you own the team...you don't need to pay for Vikings merchandise!
If you're not a die hard Vikings fan, training camp is probably pretty boring. This is my sixth year going to training camp but the first year I couldn't believe that all people did was sit on bleachers in the burning hot sun and watch the Vikings practice. I would say it would be boring for the majority of people but now I love to be there and watch them practice. Here are some pictures of the very first practice of training camp.
Look below at #7, T-Jack. He's 6' 4". Now look at #71, Phil Loadholt. He's 6'8"!
After the practice, the Vikings walk across the street to the locker rooms and shower. Before and after doing so, some of the players stop and sign autographs for the fans. Here's the guys from after Friday's practice.
After practice, a nap and getting ready, we met M's niece, Kayla, who goes to school at MSU at a Mexican restaurant for a late dinner. We ended our night at Oleander, a bar which I believe is the oldest bar in southern Minnesota. We left with a beer in our belly's and less $40 after both M and I thought it would be a good idea to put that much into pull tabs without a winner.
Because this post was so action-packed I didn't have enough time or energy, I will write about Day Two on another post soon.
2 comments:
First, it looks like you went to breakfast at Pannekoeken! YUM!
Second... love the Purple, but no #4? hehe, just being silly...
Ha - our pic is funny! Looks like a lot of fun!!
Post a Comment