Monday, January 10, 2011

Happy Birthday Honeybear

Not only did Bert Blyleven get elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame last Wednesday, it was also my honeybear's birthday.  We worked during the day as usual but we went to see an early showing of the movie True Grit.  We were both looking forward to this movie based on the actors, previews we saw and the critics ratings.  The actors were great but the story just came up short and it was anti-climatic but you have to remember that the movie is an adaptation of the novel (1968) as well as a remake of the original movie and that came out in 1969, in a totally different era than today. We still enjoyed it and would recommend watching it, however keeping that info in mind.  I barely watch TV but I've seen the movie trailer many times and I'm sure you have too but here it is in case you want to watch it.


After the movie we went to Mancini's for a steak dinner. We hadn't been to Mancini's for quite some time, a couple years I think. The food was good and as we remembered it to be, however we've had a little bit more expensive taste and better quality for steak over the past couple of years but we also did so at a price that was double what Mancini's charges.


We went home after dinner and M opened his presents.  I got him a bunch of little things and then the present I've been waiting to give him since November.  I bought him a home beer brewing kit with all the materials needed including bottles and the beer recipe kit itself.  I picked an amber ale for him to make first.  M's talked about wanting to do this and he loves the idea of it so now let's see if he actually likes the process of doing it.  Once you have the equipment, all you have to do each time is buy the beer recipe kit, which yields about 53-12 oz bottles and ends up costing about 50 cents a bottle.  If you're interested in making your own beer or wine, I went to Midwest Supplies in St. Louis Park.  If M enjoys doing this, I'd love to make wine with him sometime also.  They even have kits to make cheese. 
Brewing Starter Kit

2 comments:

Ang said...

cute! Happy belated Birthday M! :)

Jamie said...

I will be expecting one of those beers next time I'm over :) Happy Birthday Michael!!! I'm totally craving Mancini's now ;)