Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Canoe Trip

Ah, I'm behind on my blog again, as I so often am. Too many things to blog about and not enough hours in the day to do so. I always have a list of things to write about and I only get to half of them.
On Saturday, August 22nd, M and I went out with Tanya and Chris for the annual canoe trip. It was our 5th year and 2nd year with Tanya and Chris. This canoe trip was scheduled for June 6th. What happened? Rain, lot of it and it was cold. Rescheduled for July 18th. What happened? Rain in the morning and cold. Finally it was scheduled for the last time for the 22nd, which turned out to be an absolutely perfect day. No clouds in the sky and high 70's.

We drove to Willam O'Brien State Park in Marine on the St. Croix to catch the bus that left at 10:30 am. It drove us up to Taylors Falls and we launched from a state park up there. We stopped to eat lunch about 7 miles into the trip, around Osceola, WI. We headed down the river for the remainder of the 17 mile trip and ended up right back at our car at William O'Brien. The river was very high. There was a lot of rain earlier in the week and the guy that rented us our canoes said that the river had risen 450% in the last 3 days.

We ended our trip with a virgin bloody at Brine's. Well Michael and Tanya did at least. I like Bloody's but the thought of them gives me heartburn. Ah, to be old!

Check out the lovely nature photos:






These huge logs were floating down the river past us while we were on shore for lunch
This one looked liked a crocodile
Beef and chicken brats







At Brine's

4 comments:

mamamouseiam said...

Ahhhh...one of our favorite things to do! You had b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l weather, too! :-)

Julie said...

Beautiful pictures! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun and yes, a beautiful day it was. :)

Sure wish I was brave enough to do something like that but I have a BIG fear of canoe's... I was in the Girl Scouts as a child and we were out in a canoe catching turtles in a pond with nets. I was in the swampy area - you know the type with the green mossy stuff on top of the water ... The other girl in my boat and I both tried going for a turtle on the same side of the canoe at the same time and our canoe tipped and I FREAKED!!! There were weeds and you couldn't see antyhing under the water. I was so certain there were snakes in the water too. Had I not been freaking out like a little sally, I probably could have gotten back in the canoe. Several cadets had to jump out of their canoes to "save me". I have not gone in a canoe since! Heh!

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I love the St Croix, but I am afraid of canoes (too tippy for me!). Looks like fun!

Jamie said...

Looks like fun!