M and I went to the Dome for the 3rd day in a row for me and 2nd for him to go see the Twins play the Tigers on Tuesday, October 6th. Because the Twins and Tigers ended their regular season with a tied record, a tie breaker game to determine the division champs was necessary. The game was at 4 pm. M and I didn't have to take off work because we were already off for the day due to some smart planning on our part....Never work the next day after a Monday night football game. Unfortunately, I was sick. I started to get a sore throat late Monday night and I just kept getting worse. I didn't have H1N1 but I had a cold that kept trying to knock me down. It took so much energy just to get up and get ready for the game. I had already picked up my bridesmaid dress earlier in the day but I had laid down after for a nap and getting out the house, especially with the weather and it was not easy. We headed down to the dome with the realization very quickly that it was going to be hard to find find a parking spot. Slow traffic, cold weather and pouring rain. We ended up finding parking for $5 (Good!) but it was about a mile from the dome. (Bad!) The last thing I wanted to do while being sick was to walk in the rain. Because I am short, my pants drag on the ground because they are too long so by the time we got to the dome, they were all wet.
Ok, let's get to the good part. The game itself was just ok, in my opinion until we got to the later innings. I bet part of my feeling this way was because I was sick. In the 7th inning, the Twins took the lead, 4-3. The Tigers tied the game in the 8th at 4 and that's how game went into extra innings. Each team scored a run in the 10th to make it tied 5-5 and it wasn't until the bottom of the 12th inning that the Twins scored, making the final 6-5 and the Minnesota Twins American League Central Champs. Of course the Dome erupted and it was an awesome atmosphere to be in at that moment. Many of the Twins put on their AL Central champs gear, including hats and T-shirts and ran around the perimeter of the field waving and high-fiving the fans.
The Twins flew off to New York the same night to play the hated New York Yankees the next day to start the first round of playoffs. They lost Wednesday's game. They lost Friday's game.(Joe Nathan was not very liked that day) They flew back to MN for Sunday's game and lost. The Twins were out of the playoffs just as quick as they were in and their season was finally over. So while the last Twins baseball game played in the Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome should have been October 4th, it wasn't. It wasn't October 6th either. It was Sunday, October 11th. I can't say I was at the very last game ever played like I intended to, but I wouldn't have traded my game for Sunday's. I was able to see the Twins clinch the division and all the excitement that surrounded the day.
I look forward to seeing them play at Target Field next season. More about that another time...
2 comments:
dont worry... I cried at that game too!
what a game - it will forever go down as the best in my book!
There's no crying in Basaball! j/k ;) How couldn't you!
Post a Comment