Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Nerd or Just Keeping My Word?

As you may recall, a couple of weeks ago I said that I have had a goal every year to see each of the movies that are nominated for an Academy Award for Best Picture.  Well this year, I succeeded and completed this goal.  When I made the goal only weeks ago, I thought I had until at least the 3rd week of March to complete this as I thought the Academy Awards were at that time.  I found out last week that they are on Sunday.  That didn't leave much time to cram in 4 movies since I had only seen one.  So what did I do this week?  I spent every single night (in addition to my other plans and activities) in a movie theatre trying to make good on my word and goal.  Here is how the week went:

Monday: Milk
Thursday: Frost/Nixon

I had seen The Reader already.  4 movies in as many days!  Actually, I saw a movie with my sister on Sunday so I guess that makes it 5.  I wouldn't recommend this to anyone as it is actually exhausting!  All of these movies were not playing at the same theatre so I ended up going to a total of 4 theatres in Oakdale, White Bear Township, Roseville and Edina to see these movies.  I went to 2 AMC theatres and found out that Monday-Thursday that all movies are $5. That's a great deal as it is normally in the $9-$10 range if you usually go at night.  Yay for AMC! And thanks to M for coming along with me for 2 of the movies.  

So what's my pick for Best Picture?  I could never decide!  They are all so different and enjoyed all of them for different reasons.  I found that the movies I looked most forward to were the ones I liked the least (even though they were all good) and the ones that I didn't want to see as much, I enjoyed much more that I thought.  I would say that I would WANT Frost/Nixon to win.  I would say that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button DESERVES to win.  I would like Kate Winslet to win best actress for The Reader and being that I saw 4 of the 5 movies that the actors are in that are nominated for best actor, I just cannot choose.  And lastly, I FEEL that because of all the hype and buzz, Slumdog Millionaire will win best picture.  I guess we'll see on Sunday.  

1 comment:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Wow! I see maybe one movie in the theater a year if I am lucky!!