Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Surly Tour

This past Saturday, M and I picked up two of our favorite people, Tanya and Chris, and we all went to tour Surly Brewing Company in Brooklyn Center.  The brewery has been around for six years and it has definitely outgrown its current space and they will be moving sometime in the near future to a bigger location.

If you've been keeping tabs on me, I was still pretty sick on Saturday and really would have cancelled if it wasn't so damn difficult to get in for a tour of this place. I didn't want  to change anyone's plans so I sucked it up and made the best of it. We stood outside in line for almost 10 minutes in the freezing cold waiting for them to open the doors for our 5-7 pm tour.


Once they checked our ID's, we were each given 5 wooden tokens to cash in for beer samples in their tap room. Unfortunately, no beer samples for me since I wasn't feeling up to it. We hung out for about 30 minutes in the tap room and shopped a bit in the small store before they called all of us to meet in the brewery area for the tour. 





We met in an area of the brewery where an employee spoke of the history of the location as well as how it became a brewery.  After that part, we again went back to the tap room for beer until it was time for the second part of the tour.



The second part of the tour included discussing the process of making the beer and the equipment they use.  After having already been on two different brewery tours, I understand the process is generally the same.  Michael quizzes me about some of the processes of making beer and I'm sure he thinks it's sexy when I know the answer.  I definitely know a good bit about the beer making process! 






After the tour we went back to T&C's house and then went for a quick dinner at Oak City, just about two minutes from their house before calling it a night. 



**Thank you to Tanya for a handful of the pictures above.**






  

No comments: