Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Patriot's Tavern

This past Wednesday, we took my Grandpa to Patriot's Tavern in Stillwater.  I've been wanting to try this place for so long.  M and I went there on Independence Day (get it, Patriot's Tavern?) but they were closed.  I had high hopes for this place and it was even more awesome that I had a Groupon deal for it as well.


Things didn't go as planned.  To start off the bad night, our server didn't even come to greet us for five minutes. Then he took our drink order and was already walking away before M had finished ordering his drink.  It took another handful of minutes to get our drinks but we weren't ready to order.  Again, another big delay for the server to come back.

We finally ordered and my grandpa ordered a cheeseburger.  The server rudely said, "what kind?"  My grandpa said, "a cheeseburger" not knowing what he meant.  He again rudely said, "what kind of cheese? I guess I should be more clear in what I'm asking for."  Despite that last part of the sentence, he still had a tone and definitely no patience.  I should also state that the place is very small and when we arrived, there weren't that many people in there.  The place did start to fill up though as the time passed.  I ordered and then M ordered his meal, omitting both greens and mayo from the burger.

The order came out and of course, M's had greens and mayo on it.  He told the person who brought it out, who wasn't our server, that that wasn't what he ordered and what it wasn't supposed to have on it.  They came back two minutes later with greens removed and mayo scraped off.  Now, maybe that would be good enough for some of you but I think it's poor.  If someone doesn't like mayo, do you think they want a bun that still has a thin layer of mayo on it?  The burger is ruined because someone cannot either take directions or follow directions.  The burger sat there on the edge of the table because M had lost his appetite and it wasn't for another 10 minutes before the server came over to check on us for the first time since receiving our food.  He asked what the deal was and pretended to be pissed when he found out they scraped off the mayo from the bun.  I'm sure they do it all the time.  If you are a picky eater, scraping stuff off doesn't cut it. Imagine the condiment you hate the worst on your bun and having them scrape it off and bring it back out to eat.  It's still there and at that point, there's no use trying to take it back again because who knows what they'll do to your burger then.  

Our server later showed us the ticket he put in to the cooks and it did show the server got the order correct and it was the cook's error.  I guess he still wanted to try and get a good tip out of this experience.  Never once did the server apologize for the mistake.

We received our bill and of course he had taken off the burger and the $3 additional charge for fries also was removed as when you enter in a burger in the system and then fries, they get grouped together as the server explained therefore it was a "bonus" that we received the fries for free as he stated.  Only then, did he apologize for the issues we had.  After taking off M's food, we barely made the minimum amount needed to use the Groupon so the bill ended up being cheap.

I was so excited to come here and now I know I'll never be back.  The whole place and experience has left a horrible feeling for us.  You win some and you lose some.  At Patriot's Tavern, we lost but at least I was still with my grandpa and my honey.


3 comments:

Lisa Sack said...

Good to know, i will never go there. I hate bad service. ANd I know how M is about stuff on his burger. When he was little my mom would have to really tell the ppl at mcdonalds or BK "plain, nothing on it, not even one tiny onion". I so remember her telling them that. Cuz if there was one crumb of something on it. M would not eat it even if my mom picked it off.
But there is no excuse for what they did. Very poor service. You should really go on the BBB website and write a note about your experience there so others will know not to go there.

Ang said...

I'll never go there either - I HATE mayo.. and there is NO WAY I would have touched that after they just scraped it. I also wouldn't have accepted the servers 'anger'. Ugh, this just makes me mad to read about... I would have been irate if I had been there.

Never ever going there! Thanks for the info!

Kristi said...

Boo!! That sounds like an awful time!
We have like the food when we've gone to PT and never had bad service. Dan Lofquist used to be the chef there and he left a few months ago... obviously things are falling apart. That kind of service is ridiculous!