Friday, May 25, 2012

Muse for Music: Jeremy Messersmith

It never gets old seeing this guy....Jeremy Messersmith.  Last Saturday completed the third concert I had seen in 9 days and the fourth concert M had seen in the same time frame.  (M went to see The Black Keys last week-sore subject because I couldn't afford to go.)

The weather was not cooperative for us.  While we battled through road construction, rain and hail were pouring down while the streets were flooding.  But, we made it to our destination just on time.

We arrived at the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul to see Muse for Music with Jeremy Messersmith.  We had seen Works for Words with Jeremy Messersmith, back in April 2011.  This was a similar type event where Jeremy would play his original music and then have guests come up on stage as well as play covers of music or artists that are inspirational to him in one way or another. Some of the artists he played were Radiohead, Sigur Ros and U2.  In between the times where Jeremy would play, Dave Mondy was the host and would interview Jeremy and talk to the crowd.

We had awesome seats...second row!



Looking right at me



The first guest that Jeremy had on the stage was Chastity Brown.  I had never heard of her but I was blown away by her.  She is a very talented artist.  One of the songs she performed was so emotional and powerful. (Do you think I had tears in my eyes?  Of course I did.)  She did three songs total including a cover with Jeremy.  She's described as gospel, roots and soul, jazz, blues and country and if you get a chance to see her, do it.



The second guess is a member of hip-hop collective, Doomtree.  P.O.S. (Stefon Alexander) joined Jeremy on the stage for a few songs, including a cover from Spoon (his favorite band) as well as Prince.  I also had never seen P.O.S before but knew he was out of his normal element for this type of show.






The finale of the night was meeting up with Jeremy and P.O.S.   




I really love shows like this where you have an artist you love but then can be exposed to artist's that you don't know.  I am so glad that I've discovered Chastity Brown!  We have plenty of music from Doomtree but I've never experienced P.O.S. as a solo artist.  I've seen Jeremy several times and I'll continue to keep seeing him.  The power of music! 

No comments: