I've sort of become an organic snob this year. Ok, not really but I try my best to buy organic when it comes to fruits and vegetables at least. When I went to Target with my sister, I needed some groceries so I bought some conventionally grown romaine lettuce and actually felt guilty for buying it but hey, I needed some lettuce and I've been eating this kind for the last 34 years so it definitely wasn't going to kill me to eat it again.
Fast forward a week and I'm finally getting around to using this lettuce. I was making my version of BLT's and took each leaf of lettuce off one by one and was washing it. Only after a couple of layers, I see something big and brown and then it thumps down on the counter standing upright. I freak out because out of the corner of my eye, it's a dead mouse. Upon quick examination, it's actually a huge piece of dirt/clay.
Fast forward a week and I'm finally getting around to using this lettuce. I was making my version of BLT's and took each leaf of lettuce off one by one and was washing it. Only after a couple of layers, I see something big and brown and then it thumps down on the counter standing upright. I freak out because out of the corner of my eye, it's a dead mouse. Upon quick examination, it's actually a huge piece of dirt/clay.
First of all, GROSS. This was the dirtiest lettuce I have ever seen in my life. So much so that I could not even wash the dirt off because it was stuck on there and clay-like, therefore I had to throw the whole thing out. Have you ever had anything unwanted in any produce or food you've purchased?
Back to organic.
1 comment:
I have gotten a rubber band on a salad before and I have heard of someone getting a dead frog on a bag of lettuce but I can't remember who or when that was.
Post a Comment