Thursday, May 16, 2013

Successful Walk

This time of year in Minnesota, you never know what type of weather you are going to get, especially this year.  The day before the Walk for Animals, May 3rd, this is what it looked like outside:


As I write this post, this is what it looks like today, just 11 days later.  It actually got to 98 degrees today. 



Weather was a slight concern for the walk on Saturday, May 4th.  Ultimately it didn't really matter though what the weather was like because I was going to be walking my five miles regardless.  We woke up to chilly temps and a windy morning.  The temperature was just above freezing but with the wind chill, it felt like 27 degrees.  Oh, and it was raining too.  It didn't matter though as I put on my long johns and bundled up for the cold.  

We took a shuttle bus over to the Animal Humane Society in Golden Valley. We got to the starting area around 8:40 am and the walk doesn't start officially until 10 am.  We never start on time though.  We also start early as it gets too crowded and busy and there are many people that start earlier so you don't miss seeing all the animals.

Before we started walking, I checked into the fancy area where people who raise over $500 can check in.  I turned in the money, picked up my prizes and headed into the adjoining room.  In there, they had all sorts of refreshments for us including water, coffee, bagels, apples, chips, donuts, etc.  We ate some energy and was on our way.






So what kind of animals did we see this year?  Obviously lots of dogs, a handful of cats, some bunnies, hamsters, ferrets, a duck (of the AFLAC variety), a small horse and a dog that looked like a teddy bear.  The weather kept away a lot of the pets and owners but still thousands turned out. 


The softest rabbit ever







I want to thank all of you who kindly donated to the animals.  Last year I raised $540 and that blew my prior record out of the water.  This year, for my 10th year, I raised $865!!!!!  My goal was $750 and I thought that was quite lofty.  I'm so proud of all of you who have supported me this year or every year.  Thank you, thank you, thank you.  



Fuzzer and Powder told me to thank you as well. 




Big brother with his arm around little brother