Wednesday, November 5, 2008

1 Year ago

Today is my one year anniversary at my job.  I unfortunately work in the mortgage industry so you know how volatile it has been the past couple of years.  I was laid off from my past job on October 19, 2007.  I was on vacation in Dallas when I got the call from my supervisor.   I was let go, along with at least 1,900 others and it was effective immediately.  I never really got the chance to have an actual goodbye with my coworkers.  I was compensated very well for my departure at least.  So that's the story of why I am where I'm at now.  I have since had to switch from residential mortgage to commercial mortgage.  My company is a commercial real estate banking firm.  It is one of the largest commercial banking firms in the world, with 30 offices around the country.  I work solely with one lender, Freddie Mac, to assure that the insurance on all multifamily housing is compliant according to Freddie Mac's requirements for loan closing and subsequently each year after.  I also handle insurance losses, which today I was informed of a fire at an apartment building that killed two cats.  I wish the borrower hadn't told me that!  It made me sad and I keep thinking about it.  It is kind of interesting though to see what kind of damage takes place.  I am currently working on a loss that is well into the millions from Hurricane Ike.  The commercial mortgage business has taken some what of a hit due to the economy but not like residential.  I'm going to cross my fingers that I can keep this job for awhile.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your Anniversary! I didn't know you delt with Freddie Mac - there kinda shady. I hope you can keep it too and that you are happy.

Commercial Finance Advisors said...

We are seeing signs that we've hit bottom in the commercial mortgage industry. Thebail out should start lossen up the credit freez in a few months. Im sure you'll do fine.

Jeff
http://www.cfa-commercial.com