Thursday, June 25, 2009

They Come in Three's

On Tuesday, Ed McMahon passed away at the age of 86.

Earlier today, Farrah Fawcett passes away at the age of 62.

Later today, the self-proclaimed King of Pop, Michael Jackson is dead at 50.

Ed had some health problems.
Farrah was battling a rare cancer.
Michael went into an apparent cardiac arrest. It will be interesting to see what more we find out in the days ahead after an autopsy.

The one that is most shocking to me is Michael Jackson. He has been a performer since he was just a child and has been in the media all of his life, whether it was good or bad press. He was one strange dude, as we all have seen throughout his years in the public eye, but nonetheless, talented.

In 1984, my Dad came home from the store we called "Jim's Superette" with a present for my sister and I. He knew that we loved Michael Jackson and that we considered him our boyfriend so when he gave us a purple Michael Jackson button/pin for our jean jacket or to be pinned to the side of our purse, he was the best Dad in the world. We also danced countless times in the basement to the album (the actual album on a record player) "Thriller". It was our absolute favorite album . The last time Michael Jackson was here in Minnesota for a concert was when I was in 6th grade in either 1988 or 1989. It wasn't too cool to like Michael Jackson at that age but when I saw one of my classmates show up the next day with his concert t-shirt from the show the night before, I had to say I felt jealous that I wasn't able to go to the concert.

Fast forward many years later and I am still a fan of his music, despite not listening to it very often. "Billie Jean" is still one of my all-time favorite songs and I can't listen to it without singing to it.

I'm sad about MJ's death but I think I am in shock. I think it is just surreal right now. This is one of the biggest celebrities/musicians to die in my lifetime, at least when I was old enough to realize the multitude of it. I was only 7 months old when Elvis died, 3 years old when John Lennon died and I suppose you can throw Freddie Mercury and Kurt Cobain in there for good measure too during the early '90's.

There were 3 big artists that has shaped part of my music life growing up. Prince, Madonna and Michael Jackson, who all are only either weeks to two months apart in age, but only two remain on this earth.

MJ, you had millions upon millions upon millions of fans all over the world. Everyone in this world knew who you were, for better or for worse. Despite everything, you were scheduled to perform 50 sold-out shows for over one million people in just weeks from now. You are still loved around the world and your legacy will last forever.

We went to the Saints game tonight and on the scoreboard, here was your tribute.


Rest in peace, Mr. McMahon, Ms. Fawcett and Mr. Jackson. If you have any stories or memories of any of these people, please leave a comment.


5 comments:

Julie said...

I was in shock last night with the news of Michael's death. I sat in front of the television all night watching every channel I could find that was talking about him. I just couldn't believe it. I LOVED Michael Jackson growing up. Thriller was one of my first casette tapes and the CD still has a slot in my CD holder on the visor of my car. Billie Jean is also my very favorite song, no matter what mood I am in, I burst out singing when I hear that song.

I will never forget him, his music, or his dancing. He was THE performer and I am sorry I never did get to see him live. I completely agree with you about him, Madonna, and Prince all being a major part of growing up. I still love to listen to all their old music that I listened to growing up. I can still remember the dances my sister & my cousins had made up to a lot of their songs.

I will always remember Michael Jackson as he was in the 80's... wearing the Blue Glitter "Aviation/Pilot" jacket he wore with his silver glitter glove and the dark sun glasses. You never saw him in public without those glasses! God, I remember begging my mother for a Michael Jackson T-Shirt for my birthday in 4th grade. I wanted the one with him laying That was all I wanted, nothing else. And I got it. I would have worn that damn shirt every day if she would have let me. lol

The influence he had on music and his fans is HUGE and will never be forgotten.
Julie

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I have always loved Michael Jackson's music. Thriller was my first album and I never got sick of it. So much talent. It's weird, i wasn't even that surprised to hear the news. Maybe I am just in shock? Anyway, I am glad his music lives on.
PS cool new theme!

Dana said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Julie. That's exactly the kind of story I wanted to hear.

Jamie said...

I'm kinda on Kristi's wave length that I wasn't very shocked to hear the news of his passing. Dana - of course I was right there with you as a child, dancing and singing to the "Thriller" album with our cool buttons on, in fact I even remember doing that still to "Bad".
I do have to say that he got sooooo weird over the years that as much of an icon he is/was, I lost all interest for him and didn't feel too affected by his death. I love a lot of his songs still today, but in my eyes would prefer to remember him the old way in the 80's and have done that many years ago.

Unknown said...

Your macro shot is so fun! I wouldn't eat it but it looks pretty! Love your round too!