Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

Are you the type of person who makes resolutions each new year or you think they're silly because no one ever can stick to them?  I am a new year's resolutions girl, but I'm not sure I like the word resolution.  That doesn't mean that I always succeed with them but I like to do them because I like the mindset I have when there are goals I want to accomplish.  I also like to see them written down right in front of my face.

Here are some of my New Year's Resolutions for this year.  Some are more serious than others and if I don't accomplish everything on this list, I'm not going to be hurt about it.
  • Be healthy.  This is my resolution every day and I'm always conscious about it, whether I am living healthy or not on that very day.  This is a big generalization so here are some examples of what I'd like to do within this resolution.
    1. Eat less processed foods
    2. Cook and eat more at home
    3. Get more calcium
    4. Eat organic when I feel necessary and can afford it
    5. Exercise more
    6. Meditate
  • Floss my teeth.  I had this as a resolution two years ago and I did fantastic and then I stopped doing it regularly.  I've picked this habit up again late this year but I still want to try and do it every time I brush my teeth.  I don't know why so many people can't stick to flossing their teeth.  Do you floss?  Actually I know why it's not just an easy task.  It's because I had braces and I still have a permanent retainer cemented to the bottom front six teeth and in order to floss those teeth, I have to use a plastic thingamajig that threads the floss and then you feed it through your bottom front teeth and then floss underneath the retainer. Not a big deal but just one extra step when it's already hard enough to pull out the floss.  I must floss somewhat often though because my cat is conditioned to the sound of me pulling out the floss.  He comes right up onto the bathroom sink and watches me floss because afterwards he knows he gets to play with the floss.  
  • Write hand written notes and letters.  The art and appeal of sitting down and actually writing a note or letter and sending/giving it to someone is disappearing. Maybe you'll be one of the people I send letters to this year.  I'll probably go to a store like Bibelot, Electric Fetus or Patina and pick up some unique or eclectic note cards or stationary.  I hate even responding to emails or texts but I think I can do this one.
  • Get a facial.  I've never had one and have always wanted one and I will buy myself one because I feel like I deserve it. I also want to get two pedicures this year and get my eyebrows waxed more often, at least four times this year and hopefully I can just pluck in between visits and be consistent instead of having eyebrows that resemble caterpillars. 
  • Buy fresh flowers.  I read a blog of a girl who made a resolution last year to purchase fresh flowers on a weekly basis.  She accomplished her goal except for a couple of weeks throughout the year.  I would not be able to have such pretty bouquets of flowers at my house because my cats are too curious and then either eat and chew on the flowers or just knock down the vase so it will have to be at my desk at work. I'd like to do this at least once a month.
  • Continually organizing the house and personal items. I'm good at this but I think I still have way too much stuff.  I don't want to go as far as committing to be a minimalist but I think I want to steer towards that idea.  M and I were successful already this year by going through one of our rooms in the house and going through some of M's old clothing and items.  In just an hour's worth of time, we were able to fill three large lawn bags full of clothes and items which two of the bags we brought to the Goodwill on New Year's Day and one of the bags is going to Plato's closet to drop off and try and get some money for all the name brand clothes M had.  We're both excited to go through the rest of the house in the same manner and get rid of stuff we don't use or need.  I did get a good start on my own items last year by putting them in my sister's garage sale.  I now know that I do not miss any of that stuff, nor am I afraid to hold onto stuff just for the sake of keeping it.  We probably sound like hoarders or pack rats but we're really not.  I'm a very organized person and M just isn't good at getting rid of stuff because he doesn't make it a priority.  
  • Read more books.  I enjoy reading but I don't do enough research to find out who's a good author or what books are popular right now.  I would like to read some of the classic books as I can't even think of one classic book I've read in my life.  I've read mostly non-fiction over the last handful of years and I want to stray away from that and read more fiction. 
  • Blog more.  I enjoy blogging but I don't always have the time.  I want my blog to not only document my life and the daily activities but I also want to write more and discuss topics and just write about things...and hopefully you'll comment on those things.
  • Focus on debt.  I have debt like most people but I would like to focus on it more.  I had made some good headway with paying down some credit cards in 2010 but I had some unexpected out of pocket medical bills this summer as well as some car trouble so it negated some of my financial progress. I will do a 2011 budget and stick to it the best I can. 
  • Be the best person I can be. I don't know how many of you consider yourself a good person but I consider myself to be a very good person.  I volunteer my time and money to different causes, I donate blood regularly, I'm a good friend, sister, daughter, employee and partner but there is always room for improvement for all of us.  We can all be better and we should strive to do so. 
Resolutions don't have to unrealistic or extreme but if you want to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro, do it! And don't let anyone discourage you from doing so. Resolutions are supposed to be serious and fun at the same time.  Did you make any New Year's Resolutions this year?

2 comments:

Ang said...

I have not made a resolution - nor do I plan to. I tell myself every month that I'm going to meet my goal at the gym, and I never do - so just because it's a new year, I don't see why I'd get any better at it.
I know what I want and need to do on a daily basis - I just have to do it!

You have some good goals!
I was looking at buying some little note card this morning actually, in effort to write more letters!
I've never had a facial either, I should get one too! I LOVE the idea of buying flowers on the regular - monthly, weekly, quarterly. I have the same problem with my cat though :(

Kristi said...

Cool new look on your blog!
I make a couple of resolutions every year and keep coming back to them throughout the year, but I am not too serious about it. Good job and good luck with yours!