Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Thanksgiving

As we're on our way to Christmas, I'm talking about Thanksgiving.  Bare with me peeps, I'm really starting to get caught up.  M and I started Thanksgiving at his brother's house in River Falls, Wisconsin.  I think this was only the second time that M and I have spent a Thanksgiving together.  We've never been able to coordinate our family holiday schedules, most often because they always start at the same time or they are too far away from each other.  It bothers me we don't spend each holiday together but I guess I'm used to it.  We ate dinner there and I tried to be modest in my portions so I could save room for another plate later at my aunt's house.  We watched football, had some wine, yummy food and good company.  We only stayed about two hours before heading to my aunt's house.

My side of the family's Thanksgiving was also in Wisconsin.  We arrived at my aunt's house around 4 pm at exactly the time they were eating.  I was still full from the first meal a couple hours earlier that I really couldn't eat anymore.  I did bring a pie to my aunt's house.  I made a cranberry meringue pie.  After taking a small piece, it was just too sweet for me.  I received many compliments though on how good the crust was.  It tasted like a sugar cookie.  My cousin made an apple pie moonshine drink that is all the rage right now and it was so delicious.  Maybe not as delicious as the mulled wine that my other cousin brought.  I drank multiple mugs.

My nephew Keith made me a paper turkey and also some sort of origami type box that had a note in it.  It said, "When I see you I see a rainbow of creativety from Keith"  I wrote it just like he did and wow, did it make my heart melt.  I love that kid so much.

So how was Thanksgiving for me without my dad there?  I was so nervous that it would be terribly sad as this is the first holiday without him.  While I of course thought of him and of course missed him, it wasn't terrible. And when I say it wasn't terrible basically just means I didn't happen to cry that day.  I think that is mostly due to the fact that Thanksgiving was different this year with me going to M's side first and then going to my aunt's.  When at my aunt's house, there were many people missing this year.  My uncle and his whole family went elsewhere this year and my other uncle as he had to work.  Without everyone, it was more of quiet subdued Thanksgiving for the adults and a crazy madhouse full of young kids.  Christmas will be a different story.

We left my aunt's house a little before 7:30 pm.  The temperature had changed the wind was whipping around heavy, wet snow flurries.  We made it home right about 8 pm just in time to see the Black Friday madness and traffic at Wal-Mart by our house.  I was so glad not have participated in Black Friday this year.

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday but this year I didn't give thanks for anything.  I know there's plenty to be thankful for and it's not my personality not to give thanks but thoughts of my dad and why he isn't here with us overshadowed that.



 




No comments: