Friday, June 28th had mixed emotions for me.
The bad:
I'm Rainman-ish when it comes to dates and numbers in general and I wish I didn't automatically remember this one. It was the one year anniversary of my dad being diagnosed with cancer. I remember that day like it truly was yesterday and it is unbelievable that it has been a year. I found out on a conference room phone at work that my dad had cancer. I begged him to tell me as he didn't want to give me the bad news while I was at work.
Fast forward to this June 28th and it started out somber for me and got even more sad as I went to work. I thought I would have been able to keep it together but I couldn't. I had a good conversation with a manager, the same manager that helped me along one year ago on that day. I felt better.
My sister Jamie brought up an interesting perspective to me that day, one that I hadn't thought about quite like this. While it was sad that we were thinking about the news we had learned one year earlier, she said at least he was alive then. Even though my memories of what my dad was going through last summer are dark and sad, he was alive. Jamie brought up that after October 15th of this year, we won't have any "last year" memories of my dad and never will again. So even though he was diagnosed on this day, I treasure it because he was still alive.
The good:
I was offered a position at work that I had interviewed for earlier in the month. I am now a Loan Portfolio Analyst and I feel like it had meaning that it was offered to me on this day. My dad was so proud of me when it came to my work and career and I know he is looking down with a smile on his face.
M took me out for dinner that night. He said I could go wherever and I picked The Nook. That greasy burger was the best of my life. Seriously. Even this girl who mostly eats vegan needs a good burger every once in a while.
M also got me a gift for my promotion, which was completely unnecessary but super appreciated. My honey bought me a Coach purse. Wow. I love it and gift or not, I am lucky to have a supportive partner in life. Love you, M.
The bad:
I'm Rainman-ish when it comes to dates and numbers in general and I wish I didn't automatically remember this one. It was the one year anniversary of my dad being diagnosed with cancer. I remember that day like it truly was yesterday and it is unbelievable that it has been a year. I found out on a conference room phone at work that my dad had cancer. I begged him to tell me as he didn't want to give me the bad news while I was at work.
Fast forward to this June 28th and it started out somber for me and got even more sad as I went to work. I thought I would have been able to keep it together but I couldn't. I had a good conversation with a manager, the same manager that helped me along one year ago on that day. I felt better.
My sister Jamie brought up an interesting perspective to me that day, one that I hadn't thought about quite like this. While it was sad that we were thinking about the news we had learned one year earlier, she said at least he was alive then. Even though my memories of what my dad was going through last summer are dark and sad, he was alive. Jamie brought up that after October 15th of this year, we won't have any "last year" memories of my dad and never will again. So even though he was diagnosed on this day, I treasure it because he was still alive.
The good:
I was offered a position at work that I had interviewed for earlier in the month. I am now a Loan Portfolio Analyst and I feel like it had meaning that it was offered to me on this day. My dad was so proud of me when it came to my work and career and I know he is looking down with a smile on his face.
M took me out for dinner that night. He said I could go wherever and I picked The Nook. That greasy burger was the best of my life. Seriously. Even this girl who mostly eats vegan needs a good burger every once in a while.
M also got me a gift for my promotion, which was completely unnecessary but super appreciated. My honey bought me a Coach purse. Wow. I love it and gift or not, I am lucky to have a supportive partner in life. Love you, M.
1 comment:
Congrats on your promotion :)
Post a Comment