Tuesday, February 3, 2009

The Day the Music Died

On February 3rd, 1959, 50 years ago today, an airplane crashed in a frozen field that killed Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and the Big Bopper after a teen dance/concert in Clear Lake, Iowa.

Last night at the same location, they held a concert to remember them. There were family members of the 3 that were in attendance as well as some musicians that played that same night 50 years ago with them.

I can't really understand the full impact of the deaths of these musicians as I was not alive when it happened but from what I've read and know, there are a lot of musicians who still say that those musicians have influenced their music, as well as there have been songs written and movies made about the musicians and being that there were people in attendance of the last night's concert from 32 different countries around the world, you can see what kind of impact it did have on the world.

2 comments:

Ang said...

http://www.kare11.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=538377

I read that this morning; thought it was an interesting article.

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

The movie La Bamba was my favorite as a kid (next to Purple Rain) and I totally remember the part when Richie and Buddy died :(