Sunday, June 19, 2011

North Shore/MS 150 Weekend

Normally for the MS 150 bike ride, M and I would head up to Duluth on Thursday night and spend that night and Friday in Duluth but because finances are tight, we cut out Thursday night and headed up late last Friday morning.  We were able to check into our Canal Park hotel early but then decided to go eat lunch.  We went to a place called Anchor Bar and Grill which was suggested to me by my blogging friend Sara who lives in Superior as well she told me it was featured on the Food Network's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. We got there around 1 pm on Friday afternoon and there were lots of cars parked outside. The place was packed.  It's not a big place at all but we had to wait a little bit to get a table.  The wait was worth it though.  They have great burgers and fresh cut fries.  I'm pretty sure we'll go back when we're in the area.  Thanks for the suggestion, Sara!




We then headed up the north shore to Gooseberry Falls like we always do but first stopped along the road to take some pictures of Lake Superior.  The water was very aqua by the shore.  I thought by the amount of snow and rain we've had this past year that the falls would be fiercely flowing but it was quite the opposite.  There was room to walk and explore in dry areas that sometimes are flowing with water.  It's always a different scene at the falls.








We headed further up north to Palisade Head near Silver Bay.  It's always so scary up there as it's at its highest point.  There were rock climbers when we were there but we didn't get to see them in the act.  Just so you can realize how tall and large this cliff is, look at the picture below.  There is a person on the cliff in the very left hand side in the middle of the picture.    

We then headed just a couple more miles north and visited with M's aunt Carol.  We talked with her for a while before checking out Illgen Falls quickly and heading back to Duluth. 









M needed a marshmallow malt

Once back in Duluth, we freshened up and I took M out to for his pre-ride dinner at Timberlodge Steakhouse.  We've been pretty impressed with their food the last few years.  After dinner, we went to Fitger's Brewhouse where we met our friends Jill and Brent for a beer and then headed across the hall to Red Star for another drink before calling it a night so M could rest up and get up bright and early for his bike ride in the morning.

To be continued...





6 comments:

Sara Strand said...

Wow-- this makes me want to go to Gooseberry! It's been so stinking cold we haven't made the trip but it's a summer must on my list. ;) The next time you come through we should meet up for a malt or something somewhere!

Have you ever hiked up in Lutsen on the Shore? I haven't but I heard you can get amazing pictures of the area, so that's on my list for someday too.

Kristi said...

I love the North Shore too! Goosberry looks much better than when I lsat saw it Fall 2009

Ang said...

YAY!!! I love the North Shore! Steve and I are going up in July (our 3rd annual long weekend in Grand Marais) - and I can't wait to see all the places that I love!!

We may need to make a trip over to Superior to try out the Anchor Bar!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

SOOOOOOOOOO jealous, I haven't been to Duluth in forever!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the north shore. And Antie Carol! in her house up there, it hasnt changed my whole life. I love it. what a beautiful place to live. and i see you snuck down to rootbeer falls, M will know what that is. used to be easy to get to till someone built a house there now you gotta sneak in. have not been up there since 2000. I miss it, i need to go.

Anonymous said...

that last comment was from me, Lisa, it didnt post my name.