What did you do on the extra day that you've built up over the last four years? M has a Leap Day party every four years on Leap Day. As you can imagine, the definition of "party" has evolved since 1992 when he had his first Leap Day party. This time around, the party is defined as on a Wednesday, at a local bar at 5 pm, for one beer and only for 1 hour because the Leap Day host has a cold. Oh, and it only initially involves two people...M and me but as we rock into the 6 pm hour (since it's 2 for 1's and I'm still finishing my 2nd), M's friends call and a couple are on their way up which means we stay a little longer than planned. And I eat more popcorn. But that's ok because I did have fun with just my honey and me as we almost never frequent a bar together and later I had fun being the only girl amongst a lot of guy talk. Leap Day 2016 shows up on a Monday so I'm
sure that day will be
crazy but it's not until 2020 until Leap Day is on a Saturday again and M will be 46 and I'll be 43 (gurp) and we'll probably be bowling
Scotch Doubles at Flaherty's on the last Saturday of the month.
.JPG) |
| The locals |
.JPG) |
| My favorite part of this pic: the neon "Toilets" sign |
Leap Years are needed to keep our calendar in alignment with the Earth's revolutions around the sun. It takes the Earth approximately 365.242199 days (a tropical year) to circle once around the Sun. If we didn't add a day on February 29 nearly every 4 years, we would lose almost six hours every year. After only 100 years, our calendar would be off by approximately 24 days!
4 comments:
who are the other two in the pic in front of Brady's with Michael?
Lisa, it's Wayne and Chuck.
So bummed I missed this one...next time ;)
what a fun idea - I want to be invited to the next leap day party! I've never 'celebrated' the extra day... dammit - I've been missing out!
Post a Comment