Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Healthy Surprise

I had the opportunity to review a Healthy Surprise box a couple of weeks ago.  What is Healthy Surprise?  It's a monthly subscription service that delivers healthy snack to your door that are all natural, vegan and gluten free.  Right up my alley!

I was so excited when I received my package in the mail.  I opened it up and here's what I saw:





There are several different size boxes you can subscribed to. Healthy Surprise sent me the Healthy box, which normally costs $66 a month with free shipping.  I think this is a great sized box for a couple of people and will last awhile.  The website says it's for 2-6 people.  They also have a smaller box called the Starter box which is $33 plus shipping.  They also have a Large and Super box too.

So what did I get in my box?  It was so fun to pull out so many snacks from the box, most of which I had never heard of before.  Here's the breakdown of snacks:
  • Bare Fruit Granny Smith Apple Chips
  • Skinny Crisps Cinnamon Crisps
  • Go Raw Pizza Flax Snax
  • 2 bags of Gone Nuts! Spinach Pesto nuts
  • 2 bags of Gone Nuts! Lemon Thai Curry nuts
  • 2 bags of Home Free Vanilla Cookies
  • Two Moms in the Raw Cranberry Nut Bar
  • Happy Hemp seeds
  • Hail Mary Pecans- Orange Rosemary
  • Oskri Coconut Bar- Cherry
So what did I like?  

I really liked the Two Moms in the Raw Cranberry Nut bar, Hail Mary Pecans-Orange Rosemary and the Oskri Coconut Bar-Cherry.  I thought all of these were really great tasting.

I also liked the Home Free Vanilla Cookies.  They taste very similar to Nilla Wafers.  The Skinny Crisps are also good but a little too dry for me.  

Some of the goodies are just ok to me.  The Bare Fruit Granny Smith Apple Chips are fun to snack on but didn't have too much flavor to me.  The Gone Nuts! Spinach Pesto nuts are very pesto-y.  I love pesto but you can only eat a few of these nuts at a time.  The Gone Nuts! Lemon Thai Curry nuts are much better to me.  I like the added lemon but I wish it was Thai Curry Lemon instead of Lemon Thai Curry.  

I haven't tried the Happy Hemp seeds yet.  I just happened to buy a bag of hemp seeds a week before the box came so I'll probably save the bag I have for now.

I was most excited about the Go Raw Pizza Flax Snax but I didn't like them.  Why?  Because there's too much of a taste of fennel seed.  I hate fennel seed.  I did give them to M to enjoy though and he seemed to like them.  If you like pizza and fennel seed, you'll really like these. 

Being that I hadn't heard of many of these brands before, I decided to see if I could find them at Whole Foods.  I found a few of the brands I was able to sample but not necessarily the exact same products.  I found the Go Raw Pizza Flax Snax, Gone Nuts! (not in the flavors I received) and Two Moms in the Raw. (not the product I received)  These snacks were expensive in the store so I can see where the $66 a month for this size box is justified.  Hey, it costs a little more to eat healthy!  

Would I subscribe to this monthly service?  Absolutely!...if I had the income to do so.  Right now I'm on a tight budget so it's not in my budget to do so.  I will definitely consider it in the future though.  If you do not have access to a high quality grocery store such as Whole Foods in your area, you're interested in eating healthy, all natural, vegan and gluten free snacks and you have a little extra cash to put towards your monthly food bill, this service is for you.

What I can offer you today is a discount!  Healthy Surprise is offering my readers the opportunity to try one of their boxes for $5 off the normal price.  Just enter the code, JANUARYBABY at checkout to reflect the discount.  Enjoy! 



No comments: