Thirty six years ago today, my Gramma (at some point over time, she would change the spelling from Grandma to Gramma) gave my parents a newspaper from that day, marking the day I was born. They gave this to me while I was in my 20's and it was today (I'm writing this on 1/20), that I opened it for my first time.
The papers are a little yellowed but have remained mostly intact. I thought it was a good day to pull it out since President Obama was sworn into office today for his second term. On the day this post will be published, President Obama will re-enact the swearing in for the public on Martin Luther King Jr. Day, my birthday. If you look at the picture below, President Carter was sworn in 36 years ago today (1/20).
After opening up the next newspaper, I realized it was from January 20, 1981, exactly 32 years ago. The Iran hostage crisis ended that day after 444 days.
What a great piece of personal history, huh?
No comments:
Post a Comment