Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Django Unchained

M and I went on a date to the movies last Friday night.  There are a few movies out that we want to see but we decided on seeing Django Unchained and had to make that decision early in the evening since the movie clocks in at 2 hours and 46 minutes.  It won't seem that long.  

When the trailers for this movie started coming out, it was a movie that I thought I would see but not one I would enjoy as much I actually did.  Quentin Tarantino movies are different, controversial and most often, gory.

I. LOVED. THIS. MOVIE.  I thought it to be fantastic from beginning to end. I loved the cinematography.  Christoph Waltz was phenomenal in it.  He also won Best Supporting Actor at the Golden Globes this past Sunday.  Leo DiCaprio also does an excellent job in the movie.  There are multiple actors in the movie that are past their prime but were very successful at one time and it's fun to see them too.

If you're not afraid of hearing the N-word, don't mind hearing the F-bomb, can stand some gun fights (to put it lightly), like a love story and even humor, then proceed to see this movie.

It's set in 1858 in the deep south, two years before the Civil War.  I hate the N-word but it's used often...like 108 times...seriously.  But to be honest, I didn't think it was excessive.  I know that sounds weird but when you dealing with the era, white men and plantation owners, slavery and the south, it makes sense it would be used a lot.

During one of the scenes, a Rick Ross song comes on and at first you think, what?  It's 1858! And then all of a sudden you don't care and then all of a sudden you realize that any other song wouldn't have worked as well. I think that's a sign of genius.  I don't know what other director can pull off all of this so well.

Go see Django Unchained.  And remember, the D is silent.

No comments: