We went to North St. Paul to check out their weekly car show. During the summer, anyone can bring their car and put it on display on 7th Street in North St. Paul on Friday evenings. I honestly was not looking forward to this when Michael said he wanted to go but I ended up really enjoying it. There were lots of cars, mostly from the 60's and 70's. We ate at Neumann's and then met up with Michael's brother Ray, cousin Chucky and his girlfriend, Trina. We ended up at the VFW where we bought tickets for the meat raffles but none of us won. We each put $5 in for pulltabs and ended up winning $54. We put $50 back into pulltabs and we ended up winning $111 collectively. We tipped the pull tab lady and we each walked away with $20. Quit while you're ahead!
Saturday, August 16th:
I went with my parents to the first annual pig roast for Vadnais Heights Heritage Days. We each got a pork sandwich and it was delicious! We bummed around for a bit and then later in the evening, Chris came over and we watched the Vikings game. Around 9:30 pm, we heard fireworks so we looked out the window and you could see the fireworks show for Vadnais Heights perfectly. We went outside and watched the from our front yard. We finished the night watching Michael Phelps win his 8th gold medal and just hung with Chris, drinking, listening to music and having fun.
Sunday, August 17th:
Michael and I went up to get booya at Heritage Days for Vadnais Heights. If you don't know what booya is, it's a type of soup that is slow cooked for hours and hours and hours. The Vadnais Heights Fireman cook it overnight. Ok, so I got booya. Michael won't touch that stuff. We just got there at the tail end of the parade and I ran into my old neighbor from when I was a kid. We met up with my parents, brother in law, Tom and my nephew, Keith. Keith is hiding under the table in the picture of all of us below. If he knows you are taking his picture, he does his best to avoid it. I just love the picture below of Michael and Keith. They were just chilling together watching the band, Free Fallin', a Tom Petty tribute band.
We had to leave the booya at 2:30 so we could make it in time to see Greg, Cherrie's husband, get baptized. This was for Eagle Brook Church but it was held on the grounds of Northwestern College. First of all, the weather was just beautiful. Second, I have never seen anything like this before. Greg was getting baptized in the lake along with five hundred and twenty-something other people! Each person or family was baptized individually. Eagle Brook only does this once a summer but there were an additional 300 people that signed up to be baptized in the 2 days before the event. Kim, Greg, Debbie, Chad, Chelby, Michael and myself were all there to witness Greg getting baptized. He was so excited. He was baptized by Sue Lennartson, the same pastor who conducted Cherrie's celebration of life service.
2 comments:
How cool! I remember when they used to baptise people in a little bathtub in the corner of the church. The lake I'm sure was a great place to be baptised. Maybe a little cold though.
I miss my boy!!!
Post a Comment