When I looked at my photos for April 2014, I only had 12 pictures I took for the entire month. Not surprising considering that I found April to be the worst month of 2014.
I was only one week into April before my neck "snapped" in the middle of night while I was sleeping. It was two days later before it snapped again in the middle of the night, the exact same time. I had lots of pain and working was extremely difficult considering it was the busiest month of the year for me. I worked lots of overtime (I'm salaried), worked 13 or 14 days in a row (I can't remember which anymore) and spent my entire Easter day at work. It was miserable. All the while having this neck issue.
After it not getting better on it's own, I ended up going to the chiropractor for help and it wasn't helping much. It was until after an MRI did it reveal that I had two bulging discs in my neck. It's been a long recovery, including regular adjustments, a chiropractic ultrasound, acupuncture and ultimately, traction. The traction has helped a lot and I just received my home traction kit last week so I don't have to go to the chiropractor as often.
In addition to my neck issues, it was just days before then that I had to go overnight to a sleep clinic for a sleep study. You see, I have severe sleep apnea. After the results of the sleep study, I found out I stopped breathing on average, 62 times an hour. AN HOUR. More than once a minute. I haven't told anyone besides immediate family and super close friends until now because it's embarrassing for me. The back of my throat is narrow so airflow is compromised. Being overweight only contributes to the problem. It's something I've dealt with for years and I finally decided to do something about it as my (and M's) long-time suspicions were confirmed. I now use a CPAP machine at night, very sexy, I know. But, if I don't, I can die in my sleep, even though I truly hate putting it on every night. The machine is probably not what you think it would look like. It's relatively small (11" x 7 ") and makes no sound during the night. The best part is, I only apnea on average, less than 2 times per hour now. Anything under 5 times per hour is considered normal.
Here's what a suicide bomber sleep study patient looks like. The glue from all the sensors was loads of fun trying to get out of my hair as they were all over my head as well.

No comments:
Post a Comment