Monday, May 10, 2010

Walk for Animals-Success!

First of all, a huge THANK YOU to all that gave me donations for the Animal Humane Society's Walk for Animals. With your help, I raised $310 with online and offline donations.
The walk took place on Saturday, May 1st at the Animal Humane Society's Golden Valley location. M and I usually walk together, just us, with no pets, however Chris joined us this year and brought their English Bulldog, Cosmo with for the walk. Unfortunately, Tanya had to work Saturday morning so she didn't get to come along. Hopefully next year, Tanya!

Bulldogs are not known for their great endurance so a 5 mile walk probably seemed daunting for Cosmo but she did really good. Cosmo has been known to stop walking and lay down where she's at and not move so we were trying to find that balance of whether or not we would have to turn around before the 2.5 mile half-way point, where everyone does a big loop and comes back on the same route. Cosmo looked like she was starting to get a little pooped out around the 2 mile mark so we turned around and instead of a 5 mile walk, Cosmo was able to accomplish 4 miles.

For the past seven years that I have been doing the walk, there is always some out-of-the-ordinary animal that presents itself each year, whether that be a horse, a goat, a wallaby, an iguana or this year, a baboon. He was sitting on his owner's shoulders wearing jeans and a t-shirt. He looked mean, but I think that's just the face they have and later got off the owner's shoulders and walked hand-in-hand with his owner. I wish I would have taken a picture of him but they came by quickly and were gone before I could process in my head, "Hey, that was a baboon wearing clothes."

Some of the other animals out there this year were of course, dogs. There are thousands of dogs out there and it is fun to see all the different kinds. I always get excited when I see one of my favorite dogs, a Pomeranian. If I ever get a dog, this is the kind I probably want or maybe one of the dogs that kind of look like a fox. They are a short hair and have longer pointy ears. Does anyone know what kind of dog that is? One of M's favorite is a Yorkie, which I also think are cute. Besides dogs, we saw a handful of cats. Some just in their owner's arms, others in screened strollers or in cages on a wagon. We also saw some ferrets, which were the same ones we saw last year, rabbits, a guinea pig and heard a bird.

Here are some of the pictures from this year's walk. Again, thank you to all those that donated. If you left a name of your pet when you donated, I made up a name tag for your pet and carried it with me on the walk and whether it was in honor of them or in memory of them.

I walked in honor of:

Tuanis
Schroeder
Cosmo
Teddy, Dulce and Kida
Kessock kittens
Daisy and Diago
Fuzzer
Powder

I walked in memory of:

Keino
Baxter
Eddy
Barlow
Wee Baby



This dog was Bad to the Bone
Chris and Cosmo
I ran into some friends at the walk--Manilath and Michelle or as I call them, Money and Kus

Cosmo found a baby bulldog named Belle
A Shar Pei. I thought he would be soft but he wasn't at all. He was very coarse.

I took this picture because I thought they looked like partners

Wait, someone's not doing this correctly
Cosmo taking a break
One of the water stops for the dogs. This dog got right into this pool and kept turning his body around in the pool. I loved it.

This little puppy was cold so she put him in her shirt



Ferrets-The same ones as last year
I couldn't escape without seeing some clowns. Aaahhh!
This was the softest cat




6 comments:

Tanya Zenner said...

I love the pictures! Looks like you guys had a blast. I hope I can do it next year!!!

Tanya Zenner said...

Oh and can you send me the pictures that have Cosmo in them?

Catha ;o) said...

Great pics Dana! I love that you made nametags for all our pets. Very thoughtful. See ya soon!

mamamouseiam said...

Looks like fun, and for a worthy cause! Schroe and I may have to walk next year. :-) I especially like the pic of you, Chris and Cosmo, taken from Cosmo's level. (Nice work, M?)

Dana said...

Thanks, Tanya! Yes, I will send you the Cosmo pics.

Catha, thank you for donating!

Mamamouseiam, the more the merrier so we'd love for you and Schroeder to join next year. It's always the 1st Saturday in May. And yes, that was M who took that picture. We love that pic too!

Kristi said...

Hurray! You and M are truly heroes to those animals :)
Looks like a fun time