If you've ever had a cub/boy scout in your life, you've probably heard of the Pinewood Derby. The boy and a male figure in their life are supposed to construct a car together with the materials given and then race it at the derby with hopes of having the fastest car. If you are one of the fastest cars, you get to move on to the regional races and then to the state races. My nephews Keith and Hunter both raced their cars a couple of Saturdays ago at the VFW in South St. Paul. It was a family affair as my immediate family was all there as well as Michael and my Grandpa.
Hunter is in a different level of scouts than Keith so he went first. (Hunter-Webelo, Keith-Wolf) He placed 5th out of 12 cars that raced in his age group. Keith then went and I can't remember what he placed but I think it was somewhere in the middle of the pack. I can't say this was the most exciting way I've spent an early Saturday morning but it was fun to see how excited the kids get when their cars are racing.
After the derby, we went out to breakfast at
Capital View Cafe. It was also my mom's birthday so we celebrated her. This was the first time I've been to Capital View but have wanted to go for a long time. I'm glad I finally tried it. I had the cajun breakfast and it was great!
 |
| Me and my Grandpa |
After breakfast, M and I ran an errand in St. Louis Park and so we were on the same side of the cities as our friend Chris so we popped over to their house for a bit. Tanya was working but Chris had just picked up their new car that they bought earlier in the week, a Toyota Corolla. It was time to trade in the two door sports car for a four door family-type car in anticipation of baby coming in July. I bet they'll be in a mini van in a few more years. We told Chris that we had come from the Pinewood Derby and he was able to show us one of his three cars that he made when he was a kid. I don't know if it was impressive or scary that a 37 year old guy was able to find his derby car only a minute after I asked if he kept it. M also kept his derby cars from years ago but they're either long gone now or buried somewhere among his
trash stuff.
1 comment:
I think that is cool Chris had his readily available. It shows they must have taken pride in it and still do :) Thanks for supporting the boys!
Post a Comment