You may have heard on the news or read in the paper recently that a company called Epsilon, who is a 3rd party vendor who sends emails to you on behalf of their clients had a data breach which resulted in obtaining millions of email addresses. Have you received any emails from clients of Epsilon stating as such? I've received emails from Walgreens, New York & Company, Hilton Hotels, Capital One and Citi just to name a handful of the businesses that have my email address on file and may have been obtained illegally by hackers. They may try to send you a fake email posing as a company to get you to click in the email or links, which could be a virus or they may try to get you to provide more details, such as financial information. I was alerted by Google this week that someone tried to access my email address from Brazil. In order to ward off any attempts of them getting into my gmail account, I changed my password and I've been ok since. Have any of you experienced receiving of this type of correspondence from Epsilon clients? I feel as though I've already received multiple fake emails from New York & Company and I haven't opened a single one of them so I can't be for sure but when I see NY&Co. as the send of an email in my inbox and I can see that the first part of the email message is in lower case letters, I'm a little leery of that. Anyways, be safe and here's some tips I found on a website:
Here are some important do's and don'ts; they are good medicine even outside of this particular episode:
- Do not respond to any e-mail requests for information, even if it's a business you recognize.
- Do not click on any links embedded in an e-mail. If you get an e-mail saying your account with a merchant or bank has been breached, go to that website manually through a web browser, not by clicking on links.
- Do not fill out any online forms you get in an e-mail.
- Do not download any e-mail attachments.
- Always check your credit card and merchant statements for unauthorized or unusual transactions.
- Sign up for a credit monitoring/identity theft prevention service (and watch out as some of these are actually identity-theft scams).
- If you suspect your account has been compromised, you should change your password on that account (and, if you are like most people and use the same password on multiple accounts, you should change all your passwords.
1 comment:
Yes, I have gotten a ton of e-mails from my various accts about Epsilon. Thanks for the tips
Post a Comment