The Current presented the night at the Fitzgerald Theater and it was called Works for Words: Jeremy Messersmith. It was the premiere of what will probably be a Works for Words series. The basis behind the show was that Jeremy would be performing some of his songs as well as other songs that have lyrics that are profound or inspired him. In addition, he would have guests on stage including Chris Koza, Lucy Michelle, Abi Wolf and Dessa to perform their own songs.
I sold my second set of tickets to Kari and Scott, who I went to high school with. We hung out before and after the show and during intermission. We all got to meet and talk to Jeremy Messersmith after the show as well as M and I met Dessa.
It's so hard for me to put into words how the whole show was other than it was a special night. Jeremy Messersmith is fantastic and I love him and Dessa was brilliant. Each performer was unique and contributed in their own way. Minnesota local music has come such a long way and what we have going on in the Twin Cities is truly special. Go out and support local music!
| Michael, Me, Kari, Scott |
![]() |
| Me, Dessa, Michael |
| Michael, Jeremy Messersmith, Me |
Here is the set list for the evening:
Set 1
Dillinger Eyes (Messersmith, original)
Strawberry Blonde (Messersmith, written by Ron Sexsmith)
Jolene (Messersmith, by Dolly Parton)
Piazza, New York Catcher (Messersmith, by Belle and Sebastian)
Worried Shoes (Lucy Michelle, by Daniel Johnston)
Untitled by Lucy Michelle (Michelle)
A Girl, A Boy, and a Graveyard (Messersmith, original)
Brothers on a Hotel Bed (Dan Lawonn, by Death Cab for Cutie)
Kindness (Brian Tighe, original)
Papa Was a Rodeo (Brian Tighe, by the Magnetic Fields)
I Envy the Wind (Messersmith, by Lucinda Williams)
Misunderstood Medley (Messersmith)
Set 2
Organ Donor (Messersmith, original)
San Diego Serenade (Messersmith, by Tom Waits)
First Day of My Life (Michelle, by Bright Eyes)
Don't Think Twice, It's All Right (Koza, by Bob Dylan)
The Blackberry Moon (Koza, original)
I Only Have Eyes For You (Koza, Messersmith, and Aby Wolf, by Warren/Dubin)
I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man (Dessa, by Prince)
The Chaconne (Dessa, original)
Hallelujah (Dessa, by Leonard Cohen)
Fake Plastic Trees (Messersmith, by Radiohead)
Common People (Messersmith, by Pulp)
Encore
Lazy Bones (Messersmith, original)
Violet! (Messersmith, original)

2 comments:
Looks like some awesome seats you got there! and how cool that you got to meet someone that you love and were so excited to see!
Thanks very much for sharing the set list. The show was the best live show I've seen in years!
Post a Comment