It was the weekend of October 5-7 and I spent about 20 hours of my weekend at my parents house hanging out with my dad and partially caring for him. I was approved from work and my dad's oncologist to take a leave of absence from work through the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) that would start Wednesday, October 10th so I could become a caregiver for my dad.
I missed a wedding reception on the 5th and I missed a bachelorette party (and concert) on the 6th.
On Sunday, October 7th, I decided that instead of going to the Vikings home game, I would watch it with my dad instead. This was the first time since 2006 that I would not see a home game. My dad and I watched the game together, with him dozing off a bit here and there but it was very special to me. He didn't eat much that day either, only some soup and a container of Jell-o.
While there, I decided that I would start FMLA early by starting the next day, Monday the 8th instead of the 10th. I would miss a mandatory conference at work but so what? This is family. What I was experiencing was way more important than any conference and my work agreed.
I was a little bummed that I "wrecked" my home streak record of games but I cherish my memory of watching the game with him. It wasn't the most interactive or exciting of times but knowing I was by his side being there is what matters.
It especially matters to me now as at 10 pm that night, my mom and I helped put him to bed and he would never leave that bed again.
No comments:
Post a Comment