Sunday, November 3, 2013

Wicked

My friend Jill and I both lost our dads to cancer in December and October 2012, respectively.  We've both struggled together and talked about how things have been for ourselves and families since.  Jill came up with the brilliant idea to celebrate and support each other around the time that our dad's passed away.  The goal is to do something fun, something we don't normally do and enjoy it with each other's company.

Since October was "my month", I came up with the idea to go see the Broadway musical Wicked and so that was the plan on Thursday, October 24th.  Weeks before that when the plan was being formed, I looked at tickets and there were plenty available for this show with a hefty price tag of $175 but a price we were both willing to pay. We also found out there is a lottery 2.5 hours before every performance that you can be a part of and if chosen, you get orchestra level tickets for $25 cash.  Woo!  We decided to take our chances and go that route instead.

The weekday shows start at 7:30 pm so we arrived at the Orpheum box office about 4:45 pm, 15 minutes before we could be entered into the drawing. There was already a line of about 20 people when we got there and that didn't seem bad.  By the time all was said and done, there were well over 100 people there. Our chances weren't looking good.


We all packed inside the Orpheum entry, entered into the drawing and waited until 5:30 pm until they drew names.  When putting our tickets in what looked like a cauldron (how appropriate), we asked how many tickets would be given away...only twenty tickets.  Our chances looked more and more grim but we had the chance for every drawn name to take up to two tickets.

Before the drawing, they told us that these tickets would be in row 6 on the main floor.  Pretty damn good for $25 cash.  They started to draw.  One by one, people would be scream if they won and by the end of the amount of allotted tickets, Jill and I found us non-winners.  Sigh.


It was a chance we were both willing to take and a chance that in a sense was worth it but it was a tiny bit depressing knowing that we wouldn't be going to the show, a show that I've passed up seeing three times now because apparently I don't have any cultured friends to go with. Ha!  Next time, I'm at least going by myself.  

OK, instead, we decided to go eat dinner, something that was a part of our plans anyways.  We decided to eat at Union, a place that neither of us had been to before.  That still qualifies for our date night!  Union opened almost a year ago and is separated into three areas; at street level is a seafood restaurant, one level below is a night club called Marquee and up one level from street is the rooftop dining area.

We sat up on the rooftop area, which is covered by glass in the winter and retractable in the summer.   


I started with a drink that had vanilla vodka, black cardamom and cream in it.  The name?  Margie had sex in the pantry.  I just pointed to it on the menu when I had to order.  


The sun starting to set
Jill started with Savory Donut Holes comprised of shallots, bacon and vasterbotten cheese.  I tried one and it was pretty good.  The cheese was sort of like a Parmesan.


I started with the Caesar salad with soft boiled eggs.  I don't think I'd ever had soft-boiled eggs before but they were very good.


At this point in the dinner, it's getting pretty dark due to the glass roof and it was hard to take pictures of our food.  I had to lighten these up and the quality is compromised.  

The menu has already changed since we were there so I am going from memory about what we ate.

Jill had the ravioli that had braised greens in it and I think Ricotta.  She really enjoyed it.


I had the sea scallops with pierogi's stuffed with potato and sour cream.  I can't remember what sauce surrounded the plate but there were chunks of pork as well.  It was delicious.


We both really enjoyed our dinners and the service was fantastic.  Our server was so knowledgeable of the menu and gave us recommendations when we weren't sure what we wanted.  She had us debating on things to order that after initially looking at the menu, we dismissed.  It's so refreshing to have good service.

I don't remember what time Jill and I left the restaurant but Wicked was already on stage as we walked by the Orpheum.  We had lots of fun with each other and by the end of the night, we don't regret not seeing the show.  Next time.


No comments: