Thursday, May 21, 2009

Photo Hunt Thoughts and Reflections

I've been so busy with life that I haven't been able to sit down and write about my experience and results of the photo hunt as hosted by Kristi. For those that don't know or remember, the contest started on April 1st with Kristi releasing a list of items that we were to take pictures of during the month of April with voting on your favorite person's photos during the first week of May. At first, I was so excited to do the contest and had some ideas in my head before I went anywhere of what I planned on taking pictures of. Further into the contest, I had some frustration because I could not find a picture to take within that category or I didn't like what I took, etc. I wasn't sure I wanted to continue and I thought I wasn't going to do another one. After completing the contest and going through all the pictures and choosing what ones I thought were best and submitting them, I realized how much fun I had doing this contest and I was very excited to participate in another photo hunt. It was fun to travel somewhere for the sole purpose of taking pictures or stumbling upon a photo opportunity for one of the categories. I went out one day to take pictures and came across an interesting doorway. I was so excited to have found one. Then just an hour later, I found another doorway of what became my submission for an interesting doorway category. I debated back and forth between many different photos I took and that was also a fun aspect of the contest.
After submitting my photos, I've had some great feedback from others on how much they liked my pictures. Of course that makes me feel good and even wanting to pursue my interest further. I feel like I have the vision and now I need better tools, i.e., a digital SLR. I've done a fair amount of research on cameras and I feel like I know which one I want and now it's just coming up with the money for one.
Kristi had a great response with the photo hunt with 27 participants from around the world. Of them, I came in 4th place with the popular vote. We will never know if I had admirers of me or my actual photos, but nonetheless, it makes me feel happy. Kristi then put a lot of work into going through each category and picking her favorite photos from each category for people to vote for their favorite actual photo, not just your favorite person's group of photos submission. After her selection, I was lucky enough for her to have chosen 12 of my pictures to be part of her favorite finals, which people could vote on. In addition, 3 of my photos were voted as the majority favorite. (There is a tie for 1st place in one of the categories) How flattering! It was very fun to go through all of the finals and vote for the best. I think I only voted for myself for one of the categories, and that was for the interesting doorway, which my picture had 56% of the vote.
For those that are interested in taking a look at Kristi's favorite finals, click HERE for links to all cateogories of the photos. I also have heard some buzz from a couple of my friends that they are interested in participating in the next photo hunt. You're in luck. Kristi will be hosting another photo hunt starting June 1st so if you're interested, I will have information posted on my blog around that time otherwise stop by Kristi's blog for details.
Here are the pictures that made Kristi's final favorites with the first 3 photos coming in 1st place in that category.

Interesting Architecture: This one is tied for 1st place--Sculpture Gardens, Minneapolis
Interesting Doorway--Sculpture Gardens, Minneapolis
A Drink--A glass of Riesling on Jenni's deck


A Landscape--Minneapolis skyline from Franklin Ave. overpass on 35W
A Cemetery--Very old headstones that had no markings anymore--a Stillwater cemetery

A Pair of Shoes--My friend Brenna's shoes
A Body of Water--Nicollet Island, Minneapolis
A Church--Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Church, Minneapolis
A Statue--Sculpture Gardens, Minneapolis
Lights at Night--Lava lamps in my living room

An Interesting Perspective--A bridge over Hennepin Avenue by Loring Park

A Flower- Sculpture Gardens, Minneapolis


Here are some pictures I took through April that didn't make my cut to be submitted:















Finally, here is one of my favorite photos that I took which I used for the reflection category. I didn't realize until after I put the pictures on the computer that you could see through the panel I took a picture of, allowing you to see the grass and branches through my body which were through the panel in front of me. I thought that was interesting. Again, this picture was taken at the Sculpture Gardens in Minneapolis. I love it there!
The cherry was missing from the spoon! It was being repainted in Hugo when I took a picture of it.
Here's what it normally looks like: (Courtesy of Picklepockets)
spoonbridge.jpg image by picklepockets

6 comments:

Tanya Zenner said...

Dana, I love your pictures! I would for sure be interested in participating in the next one. Let me know when and how to join in the fun.

Dennis Sterner said...

Hi Dana-
I've never left a comment on a blog before, but this morning I am sitting at the computer, starting a day off from work, and browsing through your entries. I am amazed at your life and the energy you have to do so much and write about it so consistently and eloquently. I have visited it often and always enjoy reading about your adventures. Keep up the good work- thanks for your visits to my blog and your comments too.
Have a great day!
Uncle Dennis

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

I love this post! lol
It was a lot of fun and you did an awesome job with your camera!! I do not have an SLR either but I think you can still get great photos with other less expensive cameras. I am all about Canon, I love their cameras! My G9 is an awesome point & shoot with full manual capabilities and there are lenses available for it too. June 1st is sneaking up on me awfully fast and I need to get all the details in place for Sweetsauer Photo Hunt #2!

Jamie said...

I like your cemetary pics - soem of those were really good. I want to do the next one too - looks like so much fun!

Ang said...

I loved so many of your shots (and those shoes are so f'n cute!!!) You did a wonderful job and I can't wait to see what you come up with for the next one...
Once you have a SLR you'll be so happy and wonder how you ever survived without one - I love mine!

Ang said...

Oh and I thought the Lava Lamps were a fabulous idea!