Monday, May 4, 2009

Walk for Animals

On Saturday, M and I participated in the annual Walk for Animals in Golden Valley as sponsored by the Animal Humane Society.  We woke up to a day of sun and just a little breeze in the air.  The animal you see the most at the walk is always the dogs.  With over 8,000 people that participated in the five mile walk, there are tons of dogs out there but that doesn't mean that's the only animal.  This year, we saw an animal that we've never seen at the walk before....a wallaby.  A wallaby is an animal that kind of looks like a kangaroo.  We asked his owner how he got one and he said, "the beauty of the internet".  We asked if they were legal to have as a pet and he said yes, as long as you don't breed them.  Either way, it looked like it might be a difficult pet to have.  We also saw rabbits, horses, ferrets, cats, parrots and a guinea pig.  Ben Leber, from the Minnesota Vikings was also there.  I shouldn't have to say this again but for those that don't know, he is my boyfriend.  Ok, my pretend boyfriend.  Once we got to the humane society, we walked around looking at the animals and people, walked through the flealess market and watched some dogs play some games.  I did this all the while keeping my eyes completely peeled for a gorgeous 6 foot 3, bald football player named Ben.  I finally found him when my eyes did a scan through the crowd.  There HE was.  I exclaimed to Michael, "There he is.  Let's go over there." Ben was talking to some guy with a dog so I waited patiently to talk to him while I listened to my heart pumping out of my chest.  Finally, I asked Ben if I could get a picture with him and he said sure.  I tucked in nice and tight under his wing and could feel my arm shaking around his back.  We talked to him for a couple of minutes, while I just stared at him with a perma-grin.  Wait!  I forgot this post was supposed to be about animals and not Ben Leber.  Sorry.  Thanks for letting me regress and be 14 years old again.  On with the many pictures!

Thanks to all that donated!  I raised $130.  It may not sound like a lot but when you have multiple walks each year and the need to raise money for all of them, it's a great amount.  Do it every year and then I'm quite proud of my fundraising efforts, thanks to kind people like you!


Cute little ferrets!
Michael and Bandit

There are pools around for the dogs to drink from and this dog jumped in the pool and was sliding around the bottom of it.  I tried to get a picture of him shaking himself as he got out. 
Cute!
What?
R.I.P Barlow

Harley Dog
Ok, I do not like clowns.  I wanted to take this picture of the pure enjoyment for you only.  I simply wanted to pose, but he wanted to kiss.  Good thing his big red nose got in the way. 

City of Minneapolis through the trees
This little dog was behaved so nicely for a treat.
Look at the markings on the dog in the middle of the picture.  He looked like a trendy piece of furniture.
I don't even know what to say about this picture other than, poor dog.
Here it is! The picture you've all been waiting for!!!  My pretend boyfriend, Ben!  We'd make a good couple, wouldn't we?  
Oh yeah!  There's my real boyfriend.  Aw, I love you, real boyfriend!  I love that you think my massive crush on Ben is cute.  (BTW, M and I make a better couple!)
The wallaby


Me and a giant cat
A horse whose head you cannot see
This was a game for the dogs.  The dogs had 45 seconds to look through the pile of bones and grab one.  Most of them didn't pick one so they got a dog treat instead.
This dog was the most well behaved dog of the day.  In fact, I don't even think he moved all day.
A big bone

5 comments:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Ben Leber looks yummy!!

Dana said...

Yes he is!

Ang said...

great pics... I love your love for over-sized things!!
Ben is over-sized too, isn't he?! ;)

Tracie Jacobson said...

Hi Dana,

These are great pics. If you'd like to see a few posted to the Animal Humane Society website, send them to petdish@animalhumanesociety.org.

Thanks for coming out on Saturday! Your support goes a long way.

Tracie Jacobson
Animal Humane Society

Jamie said...

I love the animals! Keith would enjo this, I think we will partake next year. Love you Barlow :) Oh and yes, Ben is hot! :)