Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gramma = ICU

This past weekend has been mentally taxing for me and all of my family.  My gramma is in the hospital in ICU.  She was admitted last Tuesday in the early evening.  Since then, a whole lot has happened and I can't even begin to put everything in chronological order.  I'm giving you what is a brief synopsis of her time at the hospital.

  • She found out she had a severe infection in her colon.
  • Her heart stopped early Friday morning for five minutes but were able to revive her with CPR but the hospital called the whole family to get down there because it did not look good.
  • The surgeon wanted to perform surgery immediately Friday to remove her colon and find the source of her internal bleeding but couldn't until her vitals were stable enough for surgery.  She went into surgery around 8:30 am on Friday morning and they found blood in her stomach and removed it and the colon looked good where they did not have to remove it.  
  • She's had to have 8 blood transfusions since she's been there and also has had to have blood platelets put into her. 
  • She's been on a ventilator to breath since after the surgery.  
  • From Friday until today, my gramma has been in an induced coma.  They tried to lift her out of it each day since Saturday by lessening the amount of sedation but her vitals were not good to do so.  They cannot take out the ventilator tube from her throat until she is not sedated anymore.
  • My gramma had a CAT scan on her brain on Monday and it determined no abnormalities.
  • My gramma was lifted from all sedation and IV's today and opened her eyes.  She is very feisty and wants to grab the tubes out from her nose and mouth and her left arm needs to be restrained to the bed because of this.
  • She is waiting to get an MRI for her brain to determine if she has had a stroke as her right arm is not moving.  She has movement in her right shoulder and in her right leg but it is weak and minimal.  The nurse on duty tonight said it is her opinion she has had a stroke but the severity is unknown and we won't know until the MRI is conducted, which will still happen tonight.  Being that the CAT scan showed no abnormalities may be a good sign that the stroke may not be too severe.  
  • She has a feeding tube in and ready for when she gets done with the MRI and then they can feed her.
  • My gramma is breathing on her own now even though she has a ventilator in her throat.  It's only when she doesn't breathe on her own does it kick in.  The hope is that she will have the ventilator removed tomorrow.
  • My gramma is only 73.
It's been a rough one for all of us. I didn't go in to work on Friday and I've been to the hospital every day to visit her and every single time I've been there, I've run into a family member, which is great.  We're all taking turns going there and someone seems to be there at every time of the day.  My mom and her siblings have taken turns spending the night at my grandpa's house to keep him company and to make sure he's eating, which he isn't doing enough of.  Both my sister and I and Michael have all gone to visit my grandpa to keep him company and try to take his mind off of everything temporarily while we're there.   

I saw my gramma tonight and asked her to open her eyes and she did ever so slightly but I could see those blue eyes.  She can't talk because of the ventilator in her throat.  Tomorrow we'll find out the results of the MRI so that will be the big news tomorrow of whether or not she had a stroke as well as what the next course of action is.   

If you pray, please pray for her.  If you don't, please keep her in your thoughts.  Just send some positive mojo her way.

2 comments:

mamamouseiam said...

Oh, Dana, we didn't know! Gramma is definitely now in our thoughts, and prayers. She IS fiesty, and will recover. I know it. Love to you all.

Laura said...

Oh Dana, I am sorry it has been such a difficult week. I am praying for your gramma... Hugs to you!!