Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Nature Walk

On Saturday, I decided to take a nature walk in the afternoon. M and I ride the motorcycle through the one-way street that goes through Vadnais Lake but at the end of the street is a trail, which I had never taken before.

It wasn't the warmest of days, compared to what we've already had this spring but it was sunny and almost 60 degrees. The sky was so blue that it looked like it had been photoshopped. You could hear the sound of the wind blowing through the tall treetops and when it would gust, the creaking of the trees as they gently swayed back and forth. The sound of the birds were familiar, yet I couldn't identify the birds themselves, except for that distinct woodpecker. As I continued to walk on the other side of Vadnais Lake, St. Paul's water source, I heard some rustling in the woods. I couldn't see anything except for a small patch of red. It was a wild turkey. After just standing there watching him for awhile, I realized there were about seven of them. One did cross about 20 feet in front of me and I just stood there, taking pictures of him while crossed. I just love those turkeys. I only passed a few people on my afternoon journey, which was nice. My walk gave me the perfect solitude that I needed for the day. It almost felt as though I was hundreds of miles away from any city until I was reminded by a honk of a horn or the revving of an engine. I could have walked longer on the trail but I turned around at about the 1.25 mile point to head back to my car. I saw what I think is a butterfly but could have been a very pretty moth fluttering through the sky and being pushed through the wind before it landed in the grass. The butterfly let me get very close to him so I could take some pictures of him. What a great nature day!














1 comment:

mamamouseiam said...

Your beautiful pictures and story make want to visit the John H. Allison Forest, for sure! I'll bet there's even a geocache there...