Thursday, September 16, 2010

The Great Minnesota Get-Together

M's company treats their employees and up to a total of six family members with admission tickets to the Minnesota State Fair each year.  M's company is right next door to the fair so employees are allowed to leave at 1 pm and go to the fair and get paid for it.  This year's outing was on Wednesday, September 1st. 

We walked over to the fair wearing shirts provided by M's company displaying the company name in what was beautiful weather....sunny and almost 80 degrees.  His company had 3 different photo scavenger hunts that you could sign up for and participate in all of them if you wanted.  M signed us up with our team name of The Snapping Turtles.  We participated in the photo hunts as best we could but we weren't able to complete all categories. 

The food of course was delicious.  We had cheese curds, root beer, roasted sweet corn, a pickle dog, Big Fat Bacon, toasted spicy ravioli, honey ice cream, viper jerky, caramel apples, deep fried cheeseburger, pork chop on a stick, Sweet Martha's cookies, etc.

We didn't go on any rides except for the ferris wheel and the skyway thing where you can relax and tour the fair from above going to Machinery Hill and back.  We did go to the Midway though where one of the carnival workers will either guess your weight within 3 lbs, your age within 2 years or your birth month within 4 months.  M went up there and told the guy to guess his weight.  He guessed 199 lbs.  M is 196 lbs.  M loses.  I went up there and asked him to guess my age. Many people in my life tell me that I look younger than I really am.  I get anywhere from 23-28 years old quite often.  The carnival worker apologized in advance and said that he's sorry if he puts me at more "tired" than I truly am.  He guessed 26 years old.  Yay! Prize for me!  He was surprised when I said how old I was and he said that I must be drinking the right kind of whiskey. :) 

We ended up staying until around 6:30 pm, which was plenty of time for us to bum around, enjoy the sun, people watching and food.



We found out today that we ended up taking 2nd place in one of the contests, which earned us $50 and we didn't realize that all of the photos submitted were entered into another contest called "Spirit of the Fair" which they choose one photo and we ended up winning that contest for another additional $50 prize.  So what does the winning of the "Spirit of the Fair" photo look like?  Here you go!



I also went to the fair with the majority of the Alphabet Gang, sans Beth on Saturday, September 4th. We met at the state fair at 6:30 am.  It was dark when I left the house and a very cool 46 degrees.  The sun rose shortly as we walked around the fair with a limited crowd.  Many of the vendors didn't open until 9 am so we toured around most of the animal barns and Miracle of Birth center before deciding it was time to eat.  Because I had eaten all that I had wanted to during my first visit to the fair, I wasn't in the mood to eat much.  The first thing I ate was some buffalo chips and cheese sauce that I split with Catha.  It was basically seasoned potatoes with cheese.  I then had a fish taco.  Expensive ($6) but after eating it, so worth it.  Very delicious. Besides that, we split some cheese curds and lemonade amongst the 4 of us.  My friend Corey works at the state fair each year so he doesn't disappoint when he gives me free cheese curds and lemonade yearly.  We ended up touring more of the fair than M and I did, including the haunted house....except I didn't go in. I'm too scared and have never been in there. I ended up leaving the group close to 1 pm so I could go to a family BBQ at my sisters later that day.

Overall the state fair was super fun.  The MN State Fair ended its 2010 run (8/26-9/6) with 1,776,211 visitors, including a record breaking day on that Saturday we were there with 234,384 visitors. It must have been because the band KISS was playing at the Grandstand that evening. :)

No comments: