Sunday, August 21, 2011

Grand Adventure

M and I find ourselves out on Grand Avenue in St. Paul fairly often.  Two times last weekend to be exact.  Last Saturday M and I took the motorcycle and went out for a dinner date to Punch.  While we were there, it started to rain and it was pouring like crazy.  It was short-lived so we didn't have a problem getting home on the bike.  After the rain cleared, we took a walk down Grand to one of our new favorite stores, Golden Fig.  It's a food specialty store and we've been there three times now and every time we've purchased something.  This time it was basil limeade.  It's very refreshing and potent but it's good.  You can drink it alone or with seltzer or an alcohol.  








After our shopping we went to a cemetery that M rides through every once in awhile.  I love cemeteries.  I have since I was at least a teenager.  I do not look at them as creepy or morbid, although some of them can be but rather as a good place and a place with tons of history, architecture, nature and beauty.  This one is called Calvary Cemetery.  Here are some pictures I took that I liked. 


The next three pictures are little headstones that for nuns and priests.





The one below is dedicated to multiple firemen.


This headstone was the most interesting and maybe one of the most famous people in the cemetery.  M had seen this headstone before on a prior visit and wondered if he was someone famous but I looked it up after we got home and he was a French architect who designed many places in the United States, including the St. Paul Cathedral and The Basilica of St. Mary in Minneapolis.  Check out his wiki page!  



On Sunday, we went on a late afternoon motorcycle ride and headed to Cecil's Deli for dinner.  This place has quite a fantastic reputation for great food as well as have won many "Best Of" awards.  I had a pastrami sandwich and coleslaw and M had a turkey sandwich.  We both liked the food but thought it was pricey for what it was and thought that a place like Nelson Cheese and Deli, also in St. Paul is better.  



1 comment:

Kim Airhart said...

I haven't had Punch in about 7-8 years. I remember it being really good but really expensive.