Thursday, June 7, 2012

Lifelike

After getting back from our little getaway from M's parent's house on the Sunday of Memorial weekend, we went to the Walker Art Center to see the exhibition, Lifelike.  The exhibit lasted three months and we made an effort to see it on the last day.

For those that really know me, you know that I love things that are either smaller than normal or bigger than normal.  I don't know which one I like the best...I think they are equally as fun to me.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  M bought me these coins that are exactly to scale but they are way tinier than normal.

*I know my photos don't fit in the margin but I wanted them to be extra large so you can see them better.*
The tiny coins with a real dime below them for reference
Aren't they cute?

Ok, so you get the idea.  I don't have anything that's larger than real life to show you that's mine so I'll turn now to the first thing we saw at the Walker.  Pretty cool, huh?  I loved this table and chairs set! Everything in the whole place was to scale.




See the guy by the windows?  It just shows you how big this was!


Not everything was tiny or huge though.  Some things were just....Lifelike.  There were multiple pieces that prohibited photography but here's a good sample of what we saw. Enjoy!


This was not wood.  It was canvas.

This is not a photo.  It's a drawing. 



Comb your hair, M!

Andy Warhol

I'd eat it

Digital neighborhood

It's hard to tell in this photo but it's not a photo.  It's a drawing. 

These are not real Sony speakers.  They are made of wood.

This garbage bag is made of marble!

One of my favorites!  Working elevators!


Just tiny!

This is not a photo.  It's a painting! 


The weeds are made of wood!


Not a photo...a drawing!

This cardboard is made of brass!


These mushrooms were so lifelike but I don't know what they were made of




1,000 sunflower seeds made of porcelain

This isn't a cigarette pack.  It's a constructed painted one

Not a real record!  It's a painting!


This was a film that was playing.  The bottom row of windows were being erased by the guy painting.  Can you see him below the top first window?

One of my favorites of the day


The exhibit was so amazing.  I loved it and wished there were even more things to look at.  After the Walker, we went across the street and walked quickly through parts of the Sculpture Garden.  We then drove through the Lowry Hill neighborhood back behind the Walker and admired the beautiful houses and took some pictures of a couple of pretty cool signs. 











5 comments:

Ang said...

WOW - some very cool (and kind of creepy) things there - I wish I had know about it! It looks awesome!

Kristi said...

That looks like a very cool exhibit! Did you have a dollhouse as a kid??

Lisa Sack said...

Those are some cool pictures. my favorite is of michael standing under the huge table and chairs. thats cool. looks like michael got shrunk by dr shrinker! tell him that and see if he remembers who that is, i'm sure he will! thank you for sharing your cool pics.

Julie said...

Those pictures were very cool! Thanks for sharing. I wish I would have known about this exhibit, I think my kids would have really liked the bigger/smaller exhibits.

AMANDA LAPLACA said...

The exhibition just came to NOMA (New Orleans Museum of Art) & it's amazing. I got a walk through with the curator (since I teach at the museum) but I can send to friends your images and documentation so they start to understand what I'm so excited about. Thanks