Thursday, April 8, 2010

Easter

I woke up on Easter morning and made some homemade candy for the family get-together later in the day at my aunt's house in Somerset, WI. I had white chocolate and thought I could use pastel food coloring to make different colors but instead it was turning the chocolate into a frosting consistency and so I had to throw some of it out. The result was chocolates only in the colors of white, red and pink. More on the chocolate later.

The Easter Bunny had stopped by the house and lazily left a basket, which happened to be my Easter basket from the first year M and I were together, on the kitchen table for M. Included in the basket were some lackluster items; Gatorade, 2 cookies from a local bakery, a pack of gum, Weight Watchers chocolate candies, an 8-pack of fun-sized Three Musketeers, gourmet gingerbread pancake mix and a bottle of pure maple syrup. M enjoyed all of his treats. I didn't take a picture because it wasn't much to look at but here's a picture of one of the cookies.


About 45 minutes after M discovered his basket, he told me that he thought the Easter Bunny had stopped at the house for me too. This Easter Bunny was not lazy. He hid my basket and I had to look around the house for it. When you are a kid, it's fun. When you are an adult, it's not that fun. I didn't even know where or how to look for a basket anymore and I had a feeling that the Easter Bunny wouldn't have made it that difficult to find. After 7 minutes or so, I found the basket. Again, this Easter Bunny put more thought into my basket and I was so overwhelmed that I started crying. It doesn't take much, people. Here's my basket:





Here's what was in my basket; A Twins baseball cap, four little planters to Grow Your Own Zinnia, Grass, Sunflower and Tree, a Salted Nut Roll, a pair of Mary Jane socks, a candle, an aluminum water bottle with butterflies on it, car air fresheners, Coleman glow sticks in four different colors, a tube of Reese Peanut Butter cups and a package of orange Peeps. The Easter Bunny was right on with everything I like, except for the Peeps, which the Easter Bunny knows I don't like them but bought them anyways because they are orange, my favorite color. See, all that would make a girl cry if they knew that their Easter Bunny did that for them.

I hopped (get it, hopped, like as in a bunny?) into my car and headed to Somerset sans M. Our family functions mostly always start at the same time and instead of going to one and then another, we usually just go separately to our functions. The weather was fantastic for an early April Easter in Minnesota, er, I guess Wisconsin. The sun was shining heavily into my car all the way to my aunt's house. As I was bringing in the tray of candy, I noticed that the sun had melted a portion of the chocolate and it was mess all over the tray as shown below. I didn't take a picture of the candy until hours after I was already there so the candy doesn't look as pretty or complete since people actually did eat some. The rest went home to my mom who wasn't able to make it because she's had some pretty severe back pain.


We spent the majority of the day outside watching the kids play and talking with the adults. The food and company was fantastic and it turned out to be one of my favorite Easter's.

My happy cousin Jake and no-so-happy nephew Keith

Keith loving his picture taken
Ok, here he does when it's on his own terms and giving his mom bunny ears. Can't really tell that Jamie is pregnant here. She's around 4 months.
The unmelted candy

This kid's name was Zhylin, which I'm sure I'm not spelling correctly but he was so cute trying to kiss the dogs.
The dogs, Mosley and Rosey which my aunt and uncle adopted last year.

Me and Rosey- I fell in love with these dogs.



I hope you had a great Easter too!

2 comments:

mamamouseiam said...

Too bad your mom had to miss a fun day with the fam. I hope she's feeling better now. :-) You've got yourself quite the Easter Bunny (wink, wink), better hang on to him! Your candy is purdy and scrumptous looking, melty or not! Happy Easter, and Happy Spring!

Nikki J Comer said...

Hey, nice post.
I love Easter because it is the demonstration of God that life is essentially spiritual and timeless.

Hope you had a Egg-ceptional, Eggs-traordinary Easter !!!

Nikki