Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Nostalgia and Garage Cleaning

I'm blogging out of order.  Oops.

On Saturday, August 24th, I went to my mom's and helped her clean out her garage.  She's pretty organized but just has a lot of stuff.  We'd bring in boxes from the garage into the house and go through them.  We had ideas of what we were going to look through and most of it was pretty fun.

My mom and dad pretty much saved every card they've ever received.  If you've sent them a card in the past, most likely they still have it.  We went through some of them and I got to see some of the cards my sister and I made our parents, none of which I remembered making.  I love the homemade card where I'd tape 8 cents into a card and give it to my dad for his birthday.  There were all kinds of cards like that.

We also went through stuff like old pins, banks, dolls and toys. By the end of the day, my sister and I each had a bin full of stuff from when we were kids.

We went through my dad's stuff as well.  I received the majority of his coins that he collected as a kid and some as an adult as well as some baseball cards and Twins memorabilia.  I won't be getting rich on any of these things but it feels good to be able to have these items that were my dad's.  I even got a few pins that were my grandpa's.  My sister received the majority of what was left of our dad's bear collection.  My dad loved black bears and had different statues in all different shapes, sizes and materials.

My mom and I shed some quick tears while going through some of this stuff and I'm sure in one way or another, it was therapy for both of us.

Some pins of my dad's--He had quite a bit of political buttons

We spent half the day going through all of this stuff and after a trip to Saver's to donate some items, my mom's garage looked clean and neat.  Now if she would just let go of all those Christmas decorations.

No comments: