Thursday, March 7, 2013

Celebration of Life

There was a week in February that seemed to be focused on death.  I'm going to try and look at it positively as a celebration of life instead.

February 16th- My mom and dad's longtime friend Kathy passed away weeks shy of her 56th birthday, losing her battle against MDS/AML




February 20th- My mom, my aunt, sister and myself went to Kathy's visitation.  

I've remembered Kathy since I was a little kid. I remember being at her house and playing around up and down her stairs.  She was the bartender during a benefit my family and I went to for another one of their friends who also passed away.  I also went to her benefit a couple of years ago.  I saw Kathy most recently at my dad's visitation/memorial service.  I couldn't believe she was there because she was so weak and sick but yet she still made it out to pay her respects.  After giving my dad an update about Kathy from her Caring Bridge site when she wasn't doing very well, I remember my dad telling me when he was sick that he really wanted to go to Kathy's funeral.  At the time, he thought he would outlive her.  I hope they're hanging out with each other now.  Rest in peace, Kathy.  

There were many familiar faces at Kathy's visitation as I had just seen them at my dad's visitation four months earlier.  This is the second visitation I've been to since my dad passed away and the sad feelings of his death come alive within me in those situations.

It just so happens that the night of Kathy's visitation was also the night that my mom, sister and I had planned our monthly dinner.  Instead of going to the place that was planned for dinner, we stayed around the neighborhood and decided to go to Romolo's for convenience.


1 comment:

Kristi @ Mi Vida Ocupada said...

Celebration of Life is a much more positive and happier way to see it :)
Beautiful photo of you, Jamie and your mom!! Love it!