Powder was very curious of this tree
I know there are more things that I can do to help our planet but I am making sure of the following:
I use cloth bags when going to the grocery store. It was a little weird at first bringing in my own bags (Especially since they say Bylerly's on them and I don't go to Bylerly's to shop but Cub, Rainbow and Festival.-I got them for free) but I got used to it quickly. The bags pack up so nicely and they are very easy to carry out of the store and into the house. I recommend using them if you don't already. They are available at all grocery stores for a small fee as well as places like JCPenney, Wal~Mart and any other large retailer.
I use an insulated lunch bag that I use to bring my lunch to work. No need for brown paper bags. Buy a cloth, vinyl or insulated lunch bag. Look how cute they can be!
When we do get a plastic bag from the store, we save it and reuse it. We have a place we keep all our plastic bags. If we get an abundance of them, they will be dropped off at the "plastic bag drop off spot" (for lack of better term) at Festival Foods closest to our house.
I turn off lights/TV/radio whenever I'm not in the room. This was instilled in me at an early age by my parents. I don't think it was because of conserving energy back then but because of saving money. Either way, it's a good thing.
I do not litter. I think back to when my Dad was younger and he would describe that people so often would throw garbage out their car windows. It was normal. Now, that idea is ridiculous. Don't even throw your gum on the ground. (I catch myself doing this every great once in a while but I'm becoming more conscious of this) I get mad when people litter. There is just no need for it.
I'm paperless. I receive an electronic copy of my credit card statements/bills/bank statements instead of receiving a paper bill in the mail. Go paperless with as many as you can. Most companies offer this option.
Recycle anything that you can!
While we are on the topic of being Green, I thought that I would bring up an article I read recently. Because of the pesticides used on our fruits and vegetables, we are often reminded to buy organics fruits and veggies. There are some fruits and veggies that you can still buy that are not organic that will not be affected by pesticides, however there are some that are considered "dirty" and should always be purchased as organic.
The Dirty Dozen-Must Buy Organic Foods: (fruits and veggies that tend to be laden with pesticides when grown conventionally, EVEN after washing)
Fruit:
Apples
Cherries
Grapes, imported (Chile)
Nectarines
Peaches
Pears
Raspberries
Strawberries
Vegetables:
Bell Peppers
Celery
Potatoes
Spinach
No need to go organic with these foods: (these products generally do not contain pesticide residue)
Fruit:
Bananas
Kiwi
Mangos
Papaya
Pineapple
Vegetables:
Asparagus
Avocado
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Corn
Onion
Peas
Peas
Take care of our Earth as much as you can.
2 comments:
Two Thumbs Up!
Great post Dana! I need to buy those cloth bags for the grocery. I use paper but do reuse and recycle them.
Thank you for the list of good vs dirty veggies and fruits. I better watch it!
Post a Comment